Grease for Carbonex washers

Started by rwdavis, September 24, 2011, 03:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwdavis

I'm leaving for a tuna trip tomorrow and just received my carbonex washer in the mail yesterday to replace my Shimano TLD 25 factory washer. Can I use a synthetic grease for the washer or does it have to either be the Shimano or Cal's grease? I don't want to put the synthetic grease in and have a problem with the drag shuddering so if it has to be either Shimano of Cal's I'll just leave the factory washer in and order the grease. But if I can use the synthetic than I would like to try out the Carbontex washer tomorrow on my tuna trip. Any advice would be apprecitated.

Dawn

I would stick with Cal's or Shimano drag grease.  I don't have any feedback on other kinds of grease.

Dawn
Dawn

alantani

sorry about missing your call yesterday.  i left a message but it was your work number.  there are a couple of bicycle lubes that are pure teflon.  i suspect that they would work in a pinch.  what ever you end up trying, just make sure it is pure teflon.  clean off all of the excess, cross you fingers and give the line a tug.  if you're lucky, the drag will be smooth.  can you let us know?  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

rwdavis

Thanks for the replies. I think I will just put in the stock washer as I was having no problems with it and order the Cal's when I get back from my tuna trip. I would hate to have a fish on and then lose it because the drag starts to shudder.

Nessie Hunter

I would go with the 'dry' Carbontex before I would use most Stock washers..
You would get better, smoother, more consistent performance IMHO....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!