some fish from the summer and April in Norway

Started by hafnor, September 27, 2011, 03:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

Thought I should share some photos of some of the catch I and my buddies have caught the last year included some seascape pictures and some gear.

redsetta

Amazing Hafnor - looks like paradise!
Definitely some postcard-quality shots in there.
And that salmon is an incredible colour.
What kind of fish is that in the last four pics?
Thanks for sharing, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

magic! nice to see the fish kept on ice :D got a better photo of that boat?

hafnor

that red "salmon" is actually an arctic char. the four last pics is cod. thank you for the nice comments

Alto Mare

Nice shots  Hafnor, thanks for sharing. If you don't mind me asking , how are those spinners loaded?
Quote from: redsetta

link=topic=2791.msg17123#msg17123 date=1317153515

Amazing Hafnor - looks like paradise!
Definitely some postcard-quality shots in there.
And that salmon is an incredible colour.
What kind of fish is that in the last four pics?
Thanks for sharing, Justin

Justin, Cod is the traditional Italian Christmas-Eve fish. It gets butterflied, salted and cured for one year... then you have baccala which is used for many different dishes.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

hafnor

the spinners are pretty big and we do not cast very often with them. They are loaded with, 50, 65 and 80 pound braid. In norway we use short top shot. from 2-10 feet of heavy mono or fluor. 150LB. I have jigging braid on most of my spinners, these have marked metres on it so you know approx. how deep you are. This is important as the big polack often stayes anywhere from 10 to 400 feet of water

broadway

Great shots!  You ain't kidding when you say "big" pollack :o Those cod are some slobs, too!  Nice job, Haf
Dom

conchydong

Beautiful pictures and very nice fish. Very different types of fish and fishing for me as I am in Florida. Might have to put Norway on my  places to go/things to do list.  Thanks for posting.

redsetta

Thanks Hafnor - nothing like that round my neck of the woods.
Never knew cod got that big - which puts those old stories about the Grand Banks into perspective.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Nessie Hunter

Most Excellent Hafnor. 
Some great landscape shots ~ post card quality!!
Beautiful area......

Man those are some TOAD fish to....  Way to go.....
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

hafnor

Thank you again guys. It is always fun posting pics and getting credit for them. The cods get huge in the northern parts here. The fisheries have never been better than now. The "skrei" cod gets huge around febuary to may month. It comes into the fjords from the barents sea. biggest caught on reel last year was over 80 pounds

hafnor

ossipeter

Great Fotos and Fishes. I´ll be at Soroya next year, end of July, and hope we have such luck too.

Steve-O

Like the others already said - NICE photos and Fishes!

I'm interested in hearing about the rod and reel being held in the teeth of the angler with the nice 20kg+ Atlantic Halibut. It looks like a custom built spiral wrapped jigging rod but the specifics, if you have them would be nice. What blank and guides? What reel model?  Looks like a great set up to me!

Those cod are the same species as our McDonalds Filet O-fish sandwich.  ;D

I caught a pile of them on my summer trip to Alaska but they were MUCH smaller... :( down in the 4kg range.

thanks for sharing!

Steve-O

hafnor

the rod you see there is actually a production custom rod called black hole cape cod special. it is spiral wrapped with fuji guides. it is a 350g jigging rod measuring 5,2fot. it is fully parabolic and handles very heavy jigs and huge fish. it is a nano cf rod. here are some pics. see kilsongs website for specs. www.jignpop.com