Penn 113 HLW 4/0 with Tiburon frame

Started by franky, September 27, 2011, 06:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franky

I just worked on a Penn HLW 113 reel that was converted on a red tiburon frame.  

This 4/0 is the old model with the external brakes.  It also has that huge metal collar (old style outer access drags) that sits on top of the drag stack.  This reel is the 3 stack thick fiber washer style.

PROBLEM

I just got through cleaning and greasing all the internals and reinstalled everything.  Usually I don't have a problem with these kinds of reels.  However, now that I'm done, I noticed that the handle moves very nicely and freely when the star drag is backed off.  However, when I tighten down the star drag, the cranking of the handle seems to be binding.  

The spool has the correct side to side play and all the internals seem to be in the right order.  ???

The only thing that I noticed about the thick metal collar that sits on top of the drag stack is that it sits directly on the last upper metal drag washer of the drag stack -- direct metal to metal.  On some of the other reels that I worked on in the past with the same old style collar, they had a felt washer that sat right under the collar to buffer the metal to metal contact.  However these metal collars had an indentation to allow the felt washer to sit in.  This metal collar is totally flat; thus I don't know if it suppose to have some sort of felt washer or not.  :-\

Anyway....What could be causing the binding of the handle when I crank with the star drag tightened?

Any suggestions?  Please help... :)

Thanks,

Oh, and I noticed that even if I take the handle sideplate off from the frame, the problem of the binding still occurs.  I usually test this to ensure that the internals are working properly before I install the sideplate to the frame.

Norcal Pescador

Franky -
Did you change the drag to a 1+5 or 1+3 HT-100 setup? If not, that would help with the 1+5 preferred. You shouldn't need anything between the top metal drag washer and the metal collar except a light coat of grease. Do the gears look good? No unusual wear patterns? The gear sleeve retaining pin is not sticking out at all?

Any other ideas out there?
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

franky

Quote from: norcal pescador on September 27, 2011, 09:36:42 PM
Franky -
Did you change the drag to a 1+5 or 1+3 HT-100 setup? If not, that would help with the 1+5 preferred. You shouldn't need anything between the top metal drag washer and the metal collar except a light coat of grease. Do the gears look good? No unusual wear patterns? The gear sleeve retaining pin is not sticking out at all?

Any other ideas out there?

Hey Hey!  :)  Thanks Norcal!

Although the customer initially wanted to keep the old 3 stack thick washer set up, I explained to him that the best way was to convert to the 5+1 set up.  Rather than one metal washer with the ears, you get two.

Anyway, long story short....I had an extra set of metal washers and just out of curiosity, just changed the drag stack....Whala!  Problem Solved.  :)  No More Binding.  Lots of drag pressure.  Everythings smooth.

Thanks again folks!  ;)

Norcal Pescador

Glad it worked out for you (and him). ;D 
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer