Baitcaters in extreme saltwater conditions

Started by KayakFisherman, October 02, 2011, 01:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KayakFisherman

I fish from a kayak and my baitcasters sit in rodholders really close to the water. Each trip they will take a wave or two, so it's like submerging the reels on each trip. I understand that most of you just rinse the reel with freshwater and dry, but I'm not sure if that's enough after care for a reel that is submerged each trip?

Alto Mare

The type of reel that you're using has a lot to do with it, keep those bearings well packed with a good grade marine grease and also add grease to all screws and outer parts. I do a little surf fishing at the end of my boating season every year, I go out about 5to 6 times around November and my reels always get dunked. I haven't experienced any problems with them, but I do take them completely apart afterwards, to get them ready for the next season. I use simple well made Penn reels, no A/R or 10 to 15 ball bearings :-\. If you do a lot of fishing, my opinion to you would be to open it up at least every 2 weeks and give it a complete service, but again if you have a cheap reel you might need to service it after each trip, your reel should tell you how it's holding up.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

KayakFisherman

Thanks for the info! I'm fishing high quality low profile reels (except for the Revo sx I own) Im on the water more than most, so I'll start cleaning them every two weeks. I wish I could have it as easy as you with that Penn!

Alto Mare

The problem is the minerals in the saltwater, if you don't get in and take it out it will eventually destroy your reel. I think that every 2 week should be OK for you to service the reel, but you might hear different or better opinions from others here. Good luck! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

whalebreath

CapeFish

my reels often get dunked. I coat the insides with marine grease and the non-spool bearings get packed with it as well. spool bearings get reel-x because I fish the surf and need the casting distance. Usually after lots of wading I will thoroughly wash the reels in freshwater and re-lube the spool bearings and they get left to dry on an open shelf, sometimes I give a bit of a spray with WD40 on the outside (we don't gt those spray cans of corossion x here).  The Basic AT treatment  :)! Every couple of months I will open the right hand side to check all is on order and add a dash of grease. I have had no corossion problems.  Actually most of the time after opening them I wonder why I did it cause the reels are still fine on the inside. The marine grease really seems to stick and not draw in any water. They are not baicasters though, so no sensitive level winds etc, all just run of the mill star drags - Shimano and in the past also my Daiwas  and Penn had no problems with this treatment.

Nessie Hunter

Yes the Alan Tani Pre-use service is the key!!!

I have some Saltwater reels that I have used for just over 5 yrs on many, many outings, Several trips to Cabo & up to 7 day Tuna runs (Many shorter Tuna runs).   
As you know the Rod/Reels are constantly sprayed when kept in the rod racks outside the boat or Panga fishing etc...

All I have had to do since the Pre service is open and inspect. 
They havnt needed any more then that and all work smooth and easy with no deposits, rust or evidence of ever being in Salt environment...

Cals drag grease on drags,  Quality Marine grease painted on all interior surfaces, Packed non-spool bearings with same Marine grease, ReelX on spool bearings. 
I have put a few drops on the spool bearings yearly.....

I soak then rinse & dry when I get home..

It works, and works very well......

I also Float Tube the Saltwater quite a bit (up to 5 days a week, except last 2 yrs, Gas got to expensive for constant driving the 100 Mi R/T).
Those smaller reels (spinning & Low Profile) are always wet (like your Kayak trips). They also have stayed in the same super condition..

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Alto Mare

There you go KayakFisherman, you got your answer. I said to open it  every 2 weeks, some say every 2 months and some say every 5 months :-\ not so sure about that one. Do open that reel every now and then, I've been there before and I know how much meneral build up you could have from saltwater if not cleaned properly, rinsing with water helps but doesn't clean them all the way. The only guys that would get away with it where the guys that used to pack the older Penn greenie solid with grease. We are not talking ocean spray here,the reel is actually being submerged. My reels usually take 15 minutes to completely take apart and put back ( If the wife doesn't bother me ;D), if you're new at it...go for it, it will get easier each timeyou do it. We are all pros here, BUT only after following Alans advices, do the same and you should be fine. Everyone fishing style is different, make your own dicision on this one. Happy fishing!

Dominick

Kayak Fisherman:  I have some comments but no experience with what I'm about to propose.  If the reels get completely submerged, then I would completely submerge them in a solution of freshwater and salt-away.  Position them so that the drain holes will drain and after a couple of hours blow them out with an air hose.  It would seem to me that if the bearings are greased and the spool bearings lubed with Reel-x or some other super lubricant, this should take care of any corrosion problems.  Of course a thorough break-down and cleaning at the end of the fishing season would be necessary.  At that time you can see the results of this idea.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

over time, saltwater accumulates in these reels.  it's can't be helped, no matter what you.  you will have to completely tear down your reel on a regular basis,  it's the only way.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

KayakFisherman

Thanks for all the replies! I will take care of my reels from now on. Last weekend I took second in a fishing tournament because of a reel malfunction. I was using a cheap spinning reel because all my baitcasters are down, failure to maintain my reels cost me big time!

Alto Mare

Quote from: KayakFisherman on October 08, 2011, 11:57:38 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I will take care of my reels from now on. Last weekend I took second in a fishing tournament because of a reel malfunction. I was using a cheap spinning reel because all my baitcasters are down, failure to maintain my reels cost me big time!

OK, lets blame it on the reel ::)
We are fishermen after all ;D

KayakFisherman

alantani

any chance i could talk you into using an old narrow spool penn jigmaster 501?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Irish Jigger

Quote from: alantani on October 10, 2011, 02:48:54 AM
any chance i could talk you into using an old narrow spool penn jigmaster 501?
Great little reel,works great without ball bearings to cause trouble.