sometimes, fishing isnt just about the fish

Started by Three se7ens, January 31, 2019, 04:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

This past year, Ive been making it a priority to actually get out and spend time doing things that dont involve actual work.  And I spent as much of it fishing as I could.  I learned a lot, made some great friends, and also managed to catch a lot of spectacular sunrises and sunsets while on the water.  The latter translates better to pictures than the rest, so heres a few from the past year I thought Id share.  Ive lived here almost my whole life, but I still try not to take things like this for granted, because not much of the country actually gets views like this. 

A friend of mine summed it up quite well:  "not all cathedrals are made of stone"

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,  the morning is a special time when you're fishing,  your. Cards ♦️ are slowly being dealt by Mother Nature.   Let's see if others will share some pictures,   It's not all about catching fish 🎣.   Every day is a special day if you wake up.🙈

foakes

Almost November, 10/26/18 — little high country lake up here in the Sierras — generally inaccessible due to being snowed in this time of the year, at 8700'.

Only fished for an hour or two.  No fish — just a couple of bites...Perfect.

Used a little Penn 716 that was given to me by a friend and member — Dave (jurelometer), then coupled with an ultralight Fenwick 5' 2-piece rod — 4 lb. test.

Not another person for 20 miles — just the Wife and I.  Had lunch, talked awhile, each enjoying being in the wilderness — soaking in what enjoying Nature means to us separately as well as together, did a little bible study and introspection.

We could feel Mother Nature resting a bit at the end of the Fall, after enduring the heat of Summer — everything golden, crisp, and the stillness before Winter coats the mountains with 9' of snow.

All of the birds, deer, chipmunks, Golden Mantle's, insects, were already either down the hills, or set up in their Winter dens.

The Aspens were golden — and just waiting for the first snow to knock the rest of the leaves off — which in turn will provide soil nutrient for the next year's continued growth.

The day was short of light — we hiked out the 5 miles to the truck — then drove the 2 hours home — stopping for a hot dinner in Shaver Lake, close to our house.

It rained the next day at our house — so it probably snowed 3' at the little lake.

We were the last to say goodbye and thanks to that little lake for another season.

Yeah, it is really not always about the fish...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

El Pescador

FRED????

What happened to the photo of you???

You were looking rather artistically pensive!!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

steelfish

Quote from: Three se7ens on January 31, 2019, 04:29:40 AM
A friend of mine summed it up quite well:  "not all cathedrals are made of stone"

I love being on the water, sometimes I enjoy more the trip checking the sunrise, the sorroundings, landscapes, the breeze on my face, etc  than the actual fishing  :-X :-X, well, not really, but I do really enjoy all the journey not just when Im figthing a fish, totally understand you, my friends always told me I behive as a tourist when fishing cuz Im takin pics of everything... of course, later they asking to share the pics with them

I've always say that for me fishing is just an excuse to be on the water enjoying the nature if I catch anything its just the cherry on the cake
The Baja Guy

foakes

Quote from: El Pescador on January 31, 2019, 08:31:06 PM
FRED????

What happened to the photo of you???

You were looking rather artistically pensive!!!!!

Wayne

I guess the "egometer" on my software that automatically filters out anything offensive — locked on to my face — and Poof — it was gone!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Bill B

Very cool pictures....just getting out of the city is a plus....my entry is Lake Arrowhead down the road from where I live....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

MarkT

I recognized that one Bill, I had a place by 5 points for 25 years until I sold it a couple of years ago.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Cor

Great pictures above!
I was drawn to this by the heading "sometimes, fishing isnt just about the fish"
Has been like that for me for a long time.

Very often I go to get a nice walk and some exercise, or often just for some piece and tranquillity.

I mostly fish in a nature reserve at the bottom tip of Africa and there is always something interesting to see.

I have very often caught good fish as well on those "non fishing trips"

I added a picture, some may think it aint nice.    He's our equivalent of your rattle snake.   I bump in to him quite often but he is so well camouflaged that you could easily step on him!
Cornelis

gstours

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures.  There is still a lot of places to find youself, and unwind a little from our daily life.
      Its quality time,  enjoy and cherish it,  and try to do it more often.   life is short,  get out of the city whenever possible. ???

Ron Jones

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on April 04, 2019, 04:42:18 AM
Very cool pictures....just getting out of the city is a plus....my entry is Lake Arrowhead down the road from where I live....Bill
I spent more time in Big Bear growing up, but I always loved Arrowhead. Just seemed a little quieter and farther off, 25 years ago of course.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Decker

Surf fishing on the East Coast...  I like to start before dawn, and often time the trip with the high-tide.   There is that magical morning glow, with the surf swelling to full strength.   Then the sun begins to light up a white streak from the horizon all the way to the water just in front of me.   Not long after, I start to feel a radiant baking action on my face and need to peel off a layer or two.  The rushing tide makes me more vigilant for big waves, but less afraid of getting wet.   There is another life waiting, when I've had my fill.

Maxed Out

I am a huge fan of sunrise, and never hesitate to take a quick pic. I'm always running southwest away from the sunrise, so it's my passengers that get the best view...

Catching fish is always a bonus. To me fishing is more about collecting my sanity, away from loud cars, ringing phones, and sometimes an annoying neighbor lol
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!