Penn International 80TW

Started by Nemo, October 03, 2011, 08:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nemo

Hey guys, I am getting an 80tw soon and will be going through it as soon as I get it for general maintenance and drag tuning/greasing if necessary.  I had a few questions about it though.  I have went through my 50tw enough to feel comfortable, but didn't know if there were any major differences between it and the 80.  I didn't see a step by step for the 80, and was going to use the same one I used for my 50 for reference (I think it was for a 30T?).  Is there any big differences since it has the dual drag disks?  The other thing was about the rod brace.  Is it necessary on this reel, or is it just a holdover from the previous generation Internationals?  I thought the stand on these was plenty beefy, and wasn't going to use it if I don't need to.  If I get this thing figured out, I will try to take pics as I go.  Thanks for any thoughts or tips.

kamuwela

hey nemo the 50 and the 80 are almost identical, im sure youll be fine. as for the braces i dont see a need, all tiagra's no longer have braces on them and they work fine without them.