Accurate products

Started by tar356, March 18, 2009, 08:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tar356

Just stumbled accross this site....great!

Question: Didn't Accurate make a Jigmaster sideplate that use the 4/0 drags? Possibly a 146 plate with the bigger drags? I seem to recall they might have been called "Magnum"??

Anyone have any info?

Thanks,

Todd
SoCal

alantani

sadly, those are long gone.  i do not know how many were made, but they are indeed very rare.  an alternative would be one of the older progear reels.  several of them had a 4/0 drag stack and a small spool.  these were true "spectra ready" reels, years ahead of their time. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

tar356

Thanks for the reply.

I've also heard of someone making side plates and frames for the 146....nice machine work. I wonder if the 4/0 drags could be shoe-horned in one of those???!!

tar356

Hi again Alan....

I just read about your stainless gear sleeve for the Penns.

You mention the combo of carbon drags and the stainless sleeve increasing the drag capabilities of the reels.

Would this provide enough strength to comfortably start fishing with 25# on my Penn 146?

Thanks again,

Todd

alantani

yes.  take a look at the squidder post.  you should be able to get an easy 7 pounds of drag.  clean out the bearings, install the stainless steel gear sleeve, grease the drags, upgrade the handle and you should be good.  let me know if you'd like to have a gear sleeve and drag washer. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brendan

If the latest set of Accurate gears on Ebay is any indication of pricing on that stuff I could not imagine how much the rare side plates would cost. $145.00 for a set of gears for a jigmaster.

broadway

Brendan,
I was watching that for the past week, too.  There was a buy it now of $175, when the seller saw the bids going so high he got rid of the buy it now.  He didn't get the $175, but he did get a ridiculous amount, $145. BTW, a set of side plates wouldn't be much more/if any. The gears (for the 500 and 3/0) are definitely more rare than the side plates especially new in the packaging.  Those things are gonna be worth $300 in 5 years, no kidding!
Dom

Brendan

I'm working on a 501 project right now, kind of a sentimental gag gift for my boss. I picked up some Newell gears that will be good enough. I was wishing I kept all of my Accurate Penn stuff. I could upgrade to Accurate reels.