Jigmaster 500 for Pin rigging

Started by Squidh90, March 29, 2019, 02:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squidh90

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll definitely look into the Penn 68 Long Beach.

Swami805

Wondering how it keeps the baitfish close to the surface?  Is there a stop on the anchor line somewhere?  I use a slider rig here. We're only allowed 2 rods but I guess since the anchor rod doesn't have hooks so maybe it wouldn't count
Do what you can with that you have where you are

1badf350

No stop needed. On your fighting rod you just let out an appropriate amount of line and put your reel in gear with a very light drag setting.
You can raise and lower your bait in the water column by tightening or loosening your anchor line.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Swami805

That makes sense. Step up from slide baiting in that respect
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Quote from: Squidh90 on March 29, 2019, 06:33:13 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, I'll definitely look into the Penn 68 Long Beach.

A nice one on the bay now for 35 shipped. My offer stands, I have plenty of carbontex drags for those. Where are you from?

John

Squidh90

John- I think I know about the reel on eBay. If I get it I'll take a look at what drags are in it and then reach out to you about the carbontex ones. I live in Virginia.

thorhammer

whereabout? I have a place on Buggs Island a mile from the Va line.

Squidh90

I live right near Richmond. Do you know if the 68s came factory with ht-100s or anything similar?

thorhammer

possibly the last manufacturing did, and I'm pretty sure the 268 did (graphite half frame). However their lifespan was probably 40 years or more and the early versions would have had leather or maybe asbestos. occasionally I luck into a fossil that someone has already serviced with new carbon. LB started pre-war; I have two  pre WWII 66's; one beauty gifted by the Sharkhunter himself. These guys have 7 posts so pretty strong for a wide reel; spooled with  600 yds of 30 and a few yards of 60-80 for the pilings and you'll be in good shape. note: if you happen to get an older one with a three piece spool, load 40-50 yards of dacron or braid first on the reel. That much 30 lb mono will have a lot of compressive force and may pop the arbor otherwise.

Squidh90

Alright, I'll aim to purchase a Long Beach in the next few days,and will pm you if I decide I need the carbontex washers.

1badf350

Quote from: nelz on March 29, 2019, 04:40:18 PM
How do you pull the rod off of those S-10 clamps?

Btw, we get some big Kings off Florida piers, never seen one that could spool a properly rigged Jigmaster. Then again, there's other critters... sharks, rays that will do so in a heartbeat!
The part that clamps to the rod is hinged and closed when at rest. To pop it out you just lift up on the rod and it lets go.
Naw man...you guys get little kings LOL. We get them up and over 60lbs.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Squidh90

Since I don't think I'll be able to cast a reel the size of a Senator or Long Beach, what would be a good reel for casting baits for cobia and drum at the piers in Virginia. This reel would also be my anchor setup for pin rigging.

thorhammer

1badf350

I would suggest a reel with a good brake system like a Penn Squall 15 or Daiwa SL30SH.
-Chris

thorhammer

Chris names the two reels I actually use for anchors, or variant: I use Penn 525 mag (forerunner of Squall) or SHXV 20 (upgraded SLSH). My last trip i used a full custom 501 Jiggy but it has spool control. An ABU 7000 would be my pick if I wanted levelwind, and there are many good heavy spinners if you go that route.

All are outstanding, and he's right about brake / mag. However you CAN toss the jiggy, with heavier weights- you might want to take off 100 yds of line or so where it will ne more manageable to thumb. If you are throwing lures, it's a bit big but you can chunk lead out.