Black sheep 300 Idle gear question...

Started by flyforfish21, October 04, 2011, 09:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyforfish21

Hey all,

1st post, great forum, have learned a lot already!

A good friend of mine is throwing BIG swimbaits anywhere from 6-10 ozs with the black sheep 300 (similar to a cvz-300). The idle gear (F91-8801) has shredded twice. When it happens the reel makes a screaming sound, almost like a bearing busted. The bearings are fine, each other gear in the left side plate are all unscathed. It is just the idle gear which is plastic. What can be causing this?

Only thing i could think of was the added torque from large baits is "flexing" the plastic gear and shearing it off at an angle. The extra force required to move the non-disengaging levelwind back and forth is just too much for this gear to handle. Anyways, any help is much appreciated and thanks in advance!

Geoff

alantani

this one.  http://www.japantackle.com/Daiwa_reels/Daiwa_BlackSheep.htm

i think it's too much stress on the levelwind assembly.  i'd go with a topless baitcaster.  perhaps one of the smaller 20# reels here.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2778.0

10 ounces really is a massive swimbait head!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

A disengaging Level Wind is almost a MUST HAVE for throwing those bigger/heavier baits...
Just to much weight for this type level wind reel. 
The metal to Nylon L/W gearing is a known weak spot in them...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

flyforfish21

appreciate the help guys.

And Alan, freshwater bass swimbaits, lol. Not a 10 oz head, that would be massive indeed.

another quick question though, pertaining to the non-disengaging levelwinds in the 300/400 te's and conquests. Have never seen this problem in any of those reels. Is it just the way the Daiwa levelwind system is designed? I would think they would have beefed up the gearing on each side since they were made for  ripping snakeheads out of cover... ???

Geoff