533 5.5 drag issue

Started by rambozo, October 04, 2011, 11:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rambozo

Alan, i have an older 533 5.5 that i replaced the drags w/ carbentex(greased of course). The problem is w/ the new drags it is pre-loaded at about 3-5# and i'm not getting more than 15# max. also the star is very hard to turn. any ideas??

Norcal Pescador

If you're sure everything is in the proper order then take off the belleville (spring) washer on the top of the drag stack. See if that helps the pre-load and drag star turning.  Did you have more than 15# before? 15# may be all you can get out of it.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

yeah, it's all spacing problems.  there are a bunch of different shims and springs that can be used to find the exact fit.  it can really be tough.  your stack bottoms out because it's is too springy, but bangs up against the handle when backed off because it's too tall to begin with. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

also, 15#'s is probably your maximum anyway.  at least it is with mine. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

josa1

Hey Rambozo,

I might add a couple of things about the spacing problem.....

I had the same problems with my 533 after changing to greased carbontex.  After making sure that all parts were reassembled in the proper configuration and order and finding that the star would not back out far enough for proper drag control, I backed the handle nut off about half a turn and found that helped a lot.  My supposition was that the nylon (?) washer under the handle formed a "soft" lock and that the nut would not back off farther.  I found that to be true and have caught a lot of wahoo cranking bombs with this reel with the "loose" handle nut.  Thus far the nut has not moved from where it was positioned.

Finally, if you really want to adjust the total spacing dimension you can easily take a few thousandth's off the graphite spacer that is between the star and the drag stack by sanding with a lubricated piece of sand paper.  If you do this, monitor the total amount of material removed by measuring the length before you begin the sanding process.

Good luck!
josarafa401   

Alto Mare

Good tip on the spacer josarafa, I've done it to a few of my Penns in the past and worked like a charm. The spacers on the Penns are metal, yours would be much easier to do, if you  sand it too much , you can add tension spings, that's the way I like to do mine to keep everything tight and yet gane star travel. I prefer to keep the handle nut seated, but if it is working for you...great!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ratchet

If your drag stack is too tall but not so tall that it is rubbing against your sideplate, rather than sanding any of your spacers down, first see if you still have the small belleville spring washer (p/n 3-142) between your starwheel and handle.  If you do, remove it as it serves no purpose other than as a spacer.  I usually toss mine out the first time I open my Newells.  I do it because I can then completely back off my drags during storage but don't over do it.  I also get about 15 lbs of drag with a full spool of line, I could get more but I don't want to hammer down on the starwheel.  This reel was meant to fish mono up to around to 50 lbs b.s.  If you need more drag, go with an aluminum lever drag reel.

Alto Mare

I hear of a lot of guys like to toss the belleville/tension spring, I for one like to keep it or add more when needed.... Just my preference.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

franky

Quote from: rambozo on October 04, 2011, 11:40:37 PM
The problem is w/ the new drags it is pre-loaded at about 3-5# and i'm not getting more than 15# max. also the star is very hard to turn. any ideas??

Hello Rambozo,

I'm confused.  ???  I assume that when you say your drag is pre-loaded at 3-5 lbs....Does that mean that when the star drag is totally backed off you are experiencing a drag that appears to be constantly grabbing at approximately 3-5 lbs?

Also, when you say the star is very hard to turn.....Is that tightening the star, loosing the star, or both?

Please post a clarifying response and/or an update on your status and I will try to zero in on a possible solution.

rambozo

everyone thanks for the replies,first thing i did was remove the belleville (spring) washer on the top of the drag stack this took care of the problem. Max drag at about 14# but way smoother than regular drags. I appreciate the help! This reel goes on a calstar 100j fishing 50# for skip jigging for tuna and surface iron for yellowtail. I'm leaving on my 10 day trip on the royal polaris out of San Diego on 10/31 so it will get used. report to follow.

franky

Hello Rambozo,

Glad it worked out.  Good luck on your fishing venture.  Post some pics (fish) if possible.  :)

Jim

Quote from: rambozo on October 06, 2011, 12:18:28 AM
everyone thanks for the replies,first thing i did was remove the belleville (spring) washer on the top of the drag stack this took care of the problem. Max drag at about 14# but way smoother than regular drags. I appreciate the help! This reel goes on a calstar 100j fishing 50# for skip jigging for tuna and surface iron for yellowtail. I'm leaving on my 10 day trip on the royal polaris out of San Diego on 10/31 so it will get used. report to follow.

That max at 14 is way low.
Question, when you say 'greased' carbonex, how much grease?
Cal's drag grease should be applied so sparingly that the only way you could tell is that the woven fiber is now a little shiny instead of flat/dull. If you can look at the washer and see any grease you've overdone it.
"You can't use too little, but you sure can use too much" is how Cal taught me!
My 533 5.5 is set up at 18#, and I can get it up to the mid 20's.
Good fishing on your trip!

josa1

Isn't this fun!!

Seems to me that removing the "heavy" bellville washer on top of the drag stack would make it more difficult to add pressure to the drag stack.  This because only the graphite sleeve would be pushing on the drag stack, less total area to apply force.

Still think the best fix is to remove some of the graphite sleeve material, it sure doesn't take much.  Then, reinstall the heavy bellville.

If I remember correctly, when these reels were originally designed there was discussion that one rotation of the star was supposed to take the drag from "free" to almost lock up.  I believe this is the reason there is little room for changing the reel drag assembly stack up dimensions.

I fish 50 pound on my 533.  A good friend who is a wahoo killer says I should use 60 pound.  I try to set the drag at about 1/3 the line test.  So, I guess I should be fishing this reel with 16 to 20 pounds drag setting.  I have a tendency to lean towards the heavier setting because I believe it better assists with the "cranking" hook set.  Don't believe I would be happy with 14 pounds, but I do believe it would work.

Will be interesting to hear how this turns out after the trip.  I'll hop Rambozo hangs a 70 pound wahoo to test the results of our discussions! What fun that would be.

Good luck
josarafa