Problems with Penn 320LD - Lever Drag

Started by Daniel Martinez, October 05, 2011, 04:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Martinez

Hi friends,

I'm a Penn dealer in Brazil and I'm heaving problems to rebuild a Penn 320LD. I'm sure that all the parts are working and in the right place. Even so, the reel isn't smooth and It's hard to spin the handle. If someone knows anything to improve the reel, please contact me!

Thanks!!

kamuwela

i am not familular with that reel itself but sound's like a right side plate bearing is bad. the more drag the harder it get's to crank.

alantani

that is correct.  the first thing to check is the right main side plate bearing.  that is always the first bearing to go out.  if the spool spins smoothly in free, then the spool bearings are ok.  if the drag is sticky, try some cal's grease.  you should be able to get some from smoothdrag.com.  if the right main side plate bearing is bad, you will note that the reel is slightly rough when cranking the handle in free, then becomes more rough and has more resistance when cranking with the lever in strike.  that is typical for the right main side plate bearing. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Daniel Martinez

Thanks friends!

I will check this ball bearing and write again. :D

alantani

mainemule

I'm having an issue with two PENN 320LD Reels. When I assemble them and push the lever drag to increase the spool get pulled to the right and binds to the frame making it impossible to turn the spool. I have taken them apart and followed the schematic. I'm ready to throw both of them across the shop! Most parts are new and Mystic suggested I contact someone on this forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

alantani

Quote from: mainemule on September 04, 2023, 07:10:48 PMI'm having an issue with two PENN 320LD Reels. When I assemble them and push the lever drag to increase the spool get pulled to the right and binds to the frame making it impossible to turn the spool. I have taken them apart and followed the schematic. I'm ready to throw both of them across the shop! Most parts are new and Mystic suggested I contact someone on this forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

first thought again is the right main side plate bearing, also known as the pinion bearing.  it is always the first thing that fails.  sometimes the bearing is so bad that the spool shaft is no longer aligned properly and the spool rubs.  please take a look and let us know.  thanks!  alan

mainemule

Replaced the side plate bearing as you suggested but no change. Pushing the drag lever to the strike postion still pulls the entire spool toward the handle side plate a binds the reel up. Any other suggestions?

alantani

Bryan Young

I call these type of lever drag reels "pull Systmes" where when the drag lever is pushed forward, the spool slides to the right to engage a fixed location drag plate. The other is a punch system where the drag plate is pushed to the left to engage the drag washer.

So if the spool is hitting the frame, there are a couple of things that I try think is occuring. One, the pinion bearing width may is not correct. You may need a wider pinion bearing. Second is that the lever may be worn and therefore, in order to engage the drag, the tension knob may need to be tightened forcing the spool further right to engage the drag.  That is my thoughts.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

Done! There is a sleeve between the two spool bearings. For most sleeves, the orientation does not matter. For your reel, it does, and I didn't know that.  I flipped the bearing sleeve around,  greased the drag, packed the pinion bearing with grease and threw it back together.  It works fine!!! I need your full mailing address.