Penn 225ld wont work

Started by tatch, October 05, 2011, 05:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tatch

I have a 225ld which i was fishing with on a Saturday it was working fine next day drop down to the bottom & it wont come back just appeared to be slipping all the time.Any way i stripped it cant find a thing wrong put it back together & it now winds in OK great thinks i & go"s off fishing again down to the sea bed we go get a bite put it in strike & start winding.Oh dear it winds OK but its jerking half a turn free as you like half a turn sounds as though somethings catching can anyone shed light on this problem stripped it again & cant find anything & am ready to chuck it in the bin i wouldn't mind but its been looked after & only used a handful of times

alantani

spectra slipping on the spool, stripped gear teeth, stripped drive shaft connection between the handle and main gear?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

tatch

Hi Alan thanks for that but it doesn't appear to be any of those loaded mono first specifically to stop the braid slipping its worse when under load as though its catching on something the bearings all seem to be running fine.Its driving me daft am beginning to wonder if the frame has warped or spindle even bent don't know a way to check really

Norcal Pescador

To check for a bent (spool) spindle, remove the spool from the frame and secure any line on it. Now, if your hand is big enough, hold the spool shaft with one end against the pad of your thumb and the other against your index finger pad. Give the spool a spin with your other hand and if there's any wobble, the spindle (shaft) is bent. I like to hold the spool vertically for this. If your hand isn't big enough put one end of the shaft on your work bench or whatever and spin it.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

tatch

Given that a try norcal spindle seems ok put it back & everything seemed fine again until i increase drag or get someone to hold the line so as to apply pressure then the same stiffness & light grating sound comes back.But as i say its only for half a turn of the handle the other half turn is fine its almost like the spool is oval its strange & darned annoying

Alto Mare

I do not own graphite reels, but will put in my two cents. I had something similar to my older Penn reels; try backing out the plate screws a quarter of a turn and see if that does anything. Just in case that helps, tighten the screws up again , but do it gradually, try not to thighten one screw all the way and then move to the next :-\. Good luck! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

tatch

Don't think i will want to own another this ones driving me mad just stripped cleaned & checked everything again put it back together & for a minute i thought it might be OK spun the spool pushed the drag forward a little just so it engages & same old catching sound.And the more i push the drag lever the harder it gets to turn

Irish Jigger

Have you checked the handle side bearing,may have seized?

tatch

Yes i checked that i even swapped them around one end to the other & it made no difference what ever i just cannot see why it should get harder & harder to wind the more pressure or drag that goes on its strange

boogie

Try changing the plate drag bearing if its bad it wont matter the side, some times thei look ok, they even spin right but once you put pressure on them they fail, allso sometimes the drag plate cover unscrews a little and will  giveyou problems.

alantani

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 06, 2011, 10:31:45 AM
I do not own graphite reels, but will put in my two cents. I had something similar to my older Penn reels; try backing out the plate screws a quarter of a turn and see if that does anything. Just in case that helps, tighten the screws up again , but do it gradually, try not to thighten one screw all the way and then move to the next :-\. Good luck! Sal

good guess!  it's a common problem with the penn 5 series graphite star drag reels.  if you crank down on the side plate screws too much, you can warp the graphite frame.  check the frame and spool and see if you have any spots that are rubbing.  sometimes the frame just swells a little.  please keep us posted.  alan

tatch

Doesn't appear to be rubbing although it sounds as if it is, i have a mate who has one too so what i am going to do is see if swapping the whole mid section spool drag Assembly cures it. If so i guess its got to be something to do with that if not it i should imagine it needs a new frame do you think that may be heading down the right road  :-\ 

Irish Jigger

Good idea, just be sure to give your mate his one back saying something like "It's rubbing a bit, nothing to worry about." ;D

tatch

Hi yet again all well my mate turned up at tea time 225LD in hand we started to undo all the screws & straight away noticed this has two that mine doesn't have. ??? What the heck no surely that couldn't be the problem they've never been there no marks at all.anyway just to be on the safe side tried the spool Assembly in his bingo no problem" now his spool is the one with the older tabbed cap on mines the screw on one so they obviously work in either reel too.Funny them being different as we bought them both at the same time same shop one must have been the last of the old batch and one assembled by someone forgetful  or hungover. Anyway on we go added the screws to mine & great seems to have cured that just need to buy some now & see may take a while to get but i will keep you informed of the outcome fingers crossed it does the job.the missing screws by the way are  39 on the schematic 46-4300 part number they should be in the bottom & go opposite to the others as they face outwards 

alantani

good info.  i'd like to move this post to the penn board later........