Fishing Taveuni Island Fiji

Started by locknut, October 06, 2011, 09:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locknut

Just got back from Fiji after a couple of weeks away, I know its tough but someone has to put in the time and it might as well be me. We satyed at "Makaira by the Sea" run by Roberta Davis and Capt. John Llanes. Yes that is one of the Llaneses from Kona. They moved to Taveuni in 2003. Makaira has a couple of Bure and are building the 3rd at the moment. John charters a 28ft walk around and chases everything from reef fish to  Mahi-mahi, Wahoo, Yellowfin Tuna, Sailfish, Marlin, Dogtooth Tuna and GT. He is currently getting close to 2000 GT released in the last 7 years John will do everything from half days to multi day overnight trips travelling up to 70 miles to outlying Islands that rarely see anglers.

We had a great time, they will provide all meals which we do, hey holidays are not for cooking

We took up out own gear though John has tackle you can use. I am currently trying out the new Okuma reels  and so far have been very impressed. We took a Makaira 15 with 20lb mono on a Calstar GF700ML, Cedros 15 with 16lb mono on a Calstar GF700XL, Makaira 10 with 50lb braid on a Calstar GF700H and an Andros 5 with 40lb braid on a Calstar GF700M

The Andros got YFT up to 100lb and the Makaira 10 YFT up to 110lb as well as the usual Wahoo, Mahi-mahi and Otado. Looking at the curves for the rods under load I think a GF700XH would be more suitable for 50lb trolling and a GF700MH for 40lb trolling. Both the reels were super smooth with heaps of grunt.

redsetta

Great stuff locknut - cracker pics and some nice fish.
It's a tough life alright!
I was in Fiji in May (around the southern Mamanuca Islands - Tavarua etc).
It's a fantastic place that I highly recommend.
Cheers for sharing.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

ok, that's it.  we've gotta go.  how's the weather in july?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

locknut

Thanks guys.
Yes it is a great spot and fishing with a true Hawaiian professional is the icing on the cake. The weather in July is perfect being winter. The locals get around in coats saying its cold but with day temps. in the mid 20s and with only a sheet at night we think its just right. To contact John and Roberta http://fijibeachfrontatmakaira.com/ or google makaira by the sea

Steve-O

NICE! NICE! NICE! Looks like a grand time. I read the bio on your cap'n....what a fishing stud! Thanks for sharing part of your trip to paradise.

Steve-O

whalebreath

Looks like someone ate the belly out of that smaller YFT-can't say I blame them.

The only issue I found with fishing Fiji was the acute clarity of the water-it creates some unique challenges.

Glad to see some schools of YFT are left between the islands-locals decorate their yards with stray floats from the longlines that blanket the South Pacific-but inside the Fijian archipelago most commercial fishing is banned to preserve some fish for locals