Have a Heddon 230 reel in very good shape

Started by housebg, April 17, 2019, 04:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

housebg

Have a heddon reel 230 spinning very go shape some tarnish on handle but works good  and one interested in it

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

festus

I might be interested but give FlipFlop first dibs since he asked first.  Pictures will help.

They are a medium size reel, 12.5 oz and hold 200 yds 10 lb. mono.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Thanks for being a gentleman, Festus.  I will make sure to return the favor in later acquisition threads.  I just cleaned up my Heddon 270r today.  Bronze gears and the spool cam is this incredible copper color.  I've never seen one like it.  You probably know alot more about these reels than I do, so any info is really welcome, sir.
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

happyhooker

Distinctive looking old Heddon; put me in 3d place if the other gents change their minds,

Frank

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Festus, I'm stepping out of the running. You're on deck, sir.  Spent this week's reel budget on a Columbian No. 62 that I scored last night.  Worm-drive medium size reel.  Old british ad quotes 370 yds of 4 lb.  I figure some 8 lb should fit on there nicely.

festus

Quote from: FlipFlopRepairShoppe on April 18, 2019, 07:25:12 AM
Festus, I'm stepping out of the running. You're on deck, sir.  Spent this week's reel budget on a Columbian No. 62 that I scored last night.  Worm-drive medium size reel.  Old british ad quotes 370 yds of 4 lb.  I figure some 8 lb should fit on there nicely.
Those Columbians resemble the Heddon and Roddy reels, might be the same reel in disguise.  Good buy.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

When I saw this picture of the gear setup on the Columbian 62, I snatched her up.  Worm drive ala DAM, and Penn.  Never seen the inside of an Alcedo, which someone said this is supposed to be a clone of, but I don't know what model.

Not my reel in that pic, mine is a later grey model, but am hoping she has the same gear quality.  I'll pop her open and take pics when I've got her in.

Midway Tommy

Not an Alcedo clone because of the push button spool. It's more of a Cargem offshoot. It's lite sized, sort of in between the Cargem 33 & 44.

They're decent quality, all things considered, but be careful. Some of those older late '50s/early '60s Japanese copies had:  ???

Loose Balls!  :o ;D

There's a little discussion about them over here. ......and .......Alcedo discussion over here .....and.....here.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 18, 2019, 06:36:46 PM

They're decent quality, all things considered, but be careful. Some of those older late '50s/early '60s Japanese copies had:  ???

Loose Balls!  :o ;D
Loose balls?  ??? :o ::)  Might need to give it a good soak in some immodium or lomotil dissolved in water.  Whoops, no, that's for loose bowels.  ::) ::) ::)

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

I give you a lot of credit Tommy, I hate to service those.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Midway, you're a ******* rockstar.  I'm going to read those posts tonight.  Hey, if this reel turns out to be a dog then I'm out about $16 and can go chase down another one.  I just want her for annoying redfish in the bay.

philaroman

Quote from: FlipFlopRepairShoppe on April 18, 2019, 08:28:04 PM
Midway, you're a ******* rockstar.  I'm going to read those posts tonight.  Hey, if this reel turns out to be a dog then I'm out about $16 and can go chase down another one.  I just want her for annoying redfish in the bay.

on the other hand, if you fall in love w/ the Columbian, I happen to have the smaller 61 L/UL (MIB w/ schematic) that I could part with (and it's actually "found", rather than "somewhere", unlike the 83 gear you want)

...keep shaping your collection w/ stuff I have / can complete (hopefully), LOL

Midway Tommy

Quote from: FlipFlopRepairShoppe on April 18, 2019, 08:28:04 PM
Hey, if this reel turns out to be a dog then I'm out about $16 and can go chase down another one.  I just want her for annoying redfish in the bay.

As long as there are no damaged or broken parts you won't be disappointed. They were very good quality reels in their day. Their biggest downfall usually was the chrome plating and/or sometimes paint adhesion.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)