New member + help ID these gears

Started by VW, October 07, 2011, 02:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VW

Hello everyone,
I have been using Alan's tutorials posted on other sites well before this site was started. Have "lurked" here for awhile also.  It has been interesting to watch this community grow and read all the good, useful info from literally all over the globe. Hope to be able to contribute occasionally.

I do have question I need help with. I have both Accurate and Newell stainless steel high speed (4:1) gear sets for Penn 113H. They are not in original packaging, and I do not know who manufactured which.

The set on the left is very much like Penn's gears. The main gear OD is about 0.015" larger, the pinion is a similar dimension smaller. The set on the right has a lot more angle on the teeth. The main gear OD is another 0.010" larger than the other set.   

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I hope someone here can ID them.

Alto Mare

Hello, welcome aboard. The set on the left is a Newell set. How much for both? ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

VW

Thanks Alto Mare. I figured someone would know. I am using them so not for sale.

One weird thing is, while both sets are "noisy", I find the Accurate gears to be louder which is baffling to me since the reason for making gear teeth angled like that is increased contact and smoother/quieter engagement/disengagement.

alantani

welcome.  glad we were able to get you past all of the spam filters. 

my guess is that the set of the left is from newell and the set on the right is from accurate.  the accurate gears were more angled, almost helical.  they also had more contact surface area between the teeth and the main gear exerted more downward force on the pinion gear against the spool.  they both worked fine, though.  i've seen these sets sell anywhere from $40 to $60 per set.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

VW

Thanks Alan. I almost added something like "must be more to the story" to my second post. I had considered that added side thrust might factor into the noise, just could not see where/why. I do use SS yokes with these gears.

Alto Mare

VW, a little noise is a small price to pay... considering. Glad you're using the stainless steel yoke with those gears, it is a must. If you would like to bring it up a notch and build yourself a little tank, check with Alan and get yourself a stainless steel gear sleeve and maybe a nice power handle to go with that kit. I bet you won't find a better reel when you're done with it ;). We all like to see pictures here, show us some when you're done.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.