Corrosion X HD ??

Started by Hogginhank, October 08, 2011, 06:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogginhank

I recently bought a can of Corrosion X -HD. I guess its new because the other cans I have bought are all red and this one is greenish blue?? Anyways I have been using the reg corrosion x on my bearings for a good while. I cant seem to find the squirt bottle of this stuff so I have to use the spray can and it always over lubes the bearings. I just get the air hose and blow off the excess lube and I'm good to go. Well I thought I would spray some of the HD lube into an old Ardent Reel Butter bottle and use it to put a drop at a time on the bearings. I'm not sure if its the new formula or what but when I put it on the bearings it is thick as heck and wants to keep coming out of the bottle likes it's pressurized? Even after I blow them off with the air hose they still are sluggish like I put 5 drops of oil on them?? Anyone out there tried this new HD Corrosion X and have any feed back. I use the corrosion X on my saltwater reel bearings so I'm not looking to get the free spinning that the extreme + lube would do. I just want the extra protection but I would like to be able to cast my lever drag reels farther than 10' out in front of the kayak. Thanks in advance for any thoughts..Hank

I have been checking out this site for a good while now and have read just about everything possible and I really appreciate all the peeps that post up good info. It has helped me more than you would know. I think this might even be my first or second post?? I guess the search engine just couldn't answer this one. lol. Thanks again..Hank

Squirmypug

Hank Corrosion x hd is not the same as corrosion x, it is thicker.I have read a little about it here but don't remember where.It would be good for coating the inside of sideplates and bearings that don't need to spin really fast.For your lds that you need to cast you need a thinner lube like the normal Corrosion x.If you search you should be able to find some more info on the HD. I think some reel manu. uses it to coat the inside of the reel..might be okuma.If you have anymore questions I'm sure someone will be able to help if you post it.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

kamuwela

great product long lasting. i have been using it to coat side plates. i have read that you can spray the out drive of a boat travel 3 miles and still see some film left.

Bryan Young

if you are using any type of canned lubricant, it is infused with some type of expanding propellant.  If you are spraying into a dropper bottle, you need to let it air out for at least a day before using it.  If you don't, it will continue to squirt out as that is what the propellant is supposed to do.  I'm speaking from experience.

CorrosionX HD is different.  It's thick stuff and works great on coating parts, gears, and such, but not very well on spool bearings because of the viscosity.

Here's the line up of CorrosionX product from the US and Europe.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

ReelX Soft grease is CorrosionX HD that is available in cans or by the gallon in the US.  Europe has them available in little containers.

ReelX Medium Grease is a combination of CorrosionX grease and possibly CorrosionX as it is softer than the CorrosionX grease, but more viscous than CorrosionX HD. 

And the rest should look familar to you.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Hogginhank

Thanks for the info. Where can I get the little bottles of Reel X? I thought I had seen them at academy in the past but I went yesterday to pick up some shimano drag grease and they don't even carry that anymore?? What the heck!!

kamuwela

most tackle shops are starting to carry it, here in hawaii atleast. google for dealers in your area, thats how i started. good luck

Alto Mare

Quote from: kamuwela on October 08, 2011, 10:03:51 AM
great product long lasting. i have been using it to coat side plates. i have read that you can spray the out drive of a boat travel 3 miles and still see some film left.

Hey, If we spay the boat bottom, we could gain some mileage ;D

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ossipeter

Hi Bryan,
i miss the corrossion speed X and the corrosion gun on your picture. ;)

Bryan Young

Forgot about speedx.  I have that somewhere, but haven't used it since TSI301.

The gun?  I pour corrosionX into a drip bottle.  I don't tend to spray things down with corrosionX.  Clean with fresh water and let or wipe dry.