found a trick for stuck screws

Started by Walter_Lars, March 19, 2009, 06:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter_Lars

found this in a back section of another reel collector board

One way that works fo us to get those pesky screws to losen is, I use a lube called SUPER LUBE Syncopen synthetic penetrant Phone # (1-800-253-LUBE) or their web site (www.super-lube.com) first it only takes a wee bit to penetrate, then if the screw is still stuck I use a electric engraver tool and place a soft copper tube of 1/8th diamitor on the engraver shaft and pinch it on the shaft leaving a flat edge, next I place the Super Lube on and around the screw head, when its vibrated for apox 2 mins, I always turn the srew to tighten then turn it out , note as rust build up most likly has occured make certain the lube gets around and under the screw head! No heat or hard preasure is needed thus you most likly wont break the head off!

alantani

yeah, that should work fine for stainless steel screws.  the problem i've always had has been with the chrome over brass screws that penn uses.  they are pretty soft and can shear off before i've figured out what's going on.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Walter_Lars

I can't remeber if it was McMaster-Carr or granigers but I got a 100 screw pack of stainless screws each to replace  the bridge  screws both styles and the 500 older post /side plate screws
as I worked on a reel I replaced the screws
it was a while back so I can't recall  what size they are
but I just went to the counterman  and showed Him the screws   and told Him they were for a fishing reel  he went in back and came out  with stainless  screws   
I don't recall the price but it was NOT over priced

alantani

here's the link to mc.mastercarr http://www.mcmaster.com/#screws/=12n5j8  they do not have an oval head 5-40.  too bad, it would be nice to change all of them out.  if you can ever find a source for an oval head 5-40, either in phillips or flat, please let me know.  i'd love to get a box of each, from a quarter inch to one inch.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!