Avet SX MC Questions

Started by troutdan, October 12, 2011, 12:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutdan

My questions concern my Avet SX MC. I have fished the reel from the beach for 2 seasons. I took it apart this week, after seeing the tutorial on the Avet SX tear down.   After seeing those pictures I was dreading opening it up for the first time and was pleasantly surprised to find it looking great inside. All I had to do was clean and re-oil bearings. Since it was apart I took the opportunity to grease the drag and all the screws before reassembly. When replacing one of the screws in the dog cover I noticed grease oozing out of a small lump / pin hole in the back side of frame. Is it possible that pressure build up could actually pop a hole in a machined frame? The frame is not cracked but has a very small lump in it and a small hole where the anodizing is gone. I have worked on other reels for years and never heard of anything like this.  Is it possible the screw hole could have been set too deep in the frame causing a weak spot when it was manufactored?  I can post a picture if anyone wants to see what it looks like. 

Thanks in advance for all responses.

redsetta

G'day and welcome Dan,
You've identified the likely causes, but a picture would be great.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

yes, that is actually quite common with the avets.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

troutdan

Anyone have experience returning a frame like that to Avet or is this another one of those expensive lessons you learn in life?