Screaming 525 mag ???

Started by robq, October 14, 2011, 08:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robq

Hi evryone  :)

I was directed to this site after asking the below question on world sea fishing forums UK

I just have to what a great site  :o so much in depth usefull info :)

Anyway onto the problem I have at the moment that is driving me crazy !!

I am having a bit of bother with one of my Penn 525 mags. Its the original one that I have had for a good few years but has been well looked after and serviced by myself.

Basically the last 2 trips out it has started screaming intermittantly through the cast !! some casts not at all and other casts it will start halfway through as its starts to drop out of the sky ??

Its sounded like the ratchet vibrating on /engaging at first as when I fiddled with the ratchet button mid cast it would stop the screaming. Problem solved I thought !! I sanded the ratchet pawl down to nothing so that it cannot engage but next trip out exactly the same

I am using braid on this reel and I know It does not come off as smooth as mono so this may well be making things worse ? However I used it all last year with no bother at all with the same line so its not the only cause ??

Bearings are fine and everything else looks to be Ok so what could it be ?? It cant be anything bad like a bent spindle or else it would do it all of the time

Could the bearing inners be turning on the spindle maybe ?? could it be the nylon bearing retaining clip/ratchet cog catching on something  ???

My mate has one that has now developed exactly the same symtons too

any help appreciated !!  :)

Squirmypug

Sounds like it may be the pinion gear touching the spool, check to make sure the clutch springs are not worn out and are still holding it in place like they should.Also check the eccentric jack for wear.If it is not those parts I would think its a bearing, there are 4 that the spool is on 2 in the spool and 2 in the sideplates.If its none of that maybe the spool has warped and is hitting the frame as it spins.Check the spool play also, should only move enough to hear a knock when pushed to the sides.Hope its an easy fix, good luck.  :)
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

robq

Thanks for the reply  :)

That has given me some things to check !! I never thought of the problem being in the drive side of the reel  ???

I have tried spool float settings from tight to 1mm or so of play with no difference.

I have also not checked the end plate bearings as assumed these do not come into play during the cast !!

Hopefully one of these will resolve the problem  :)

thanks again !!

Cheers Rob

alantani

there are a couple of problems with the grahite 500 series penns.  first, bearing corrosion is a common problem shared all reels.  second. common also to all reels is corrosion build up inside the pinion gear, so they always have to cleaned.  third, a pinion gear in contact with the shoulders of the spool shaft is usually the result of the spool being spaced too close to the pinion.  i see this most commonly in newells.  fourth, the clicker tongue might be coming in contact with the spool ratchet.  and lastly, the problem that i have found unique to the graphite 500 series penn reels is that you can tighten down the side plate screws too much and warp the spool enough that the spool will rub against the frame.  your casting problem has to be the result of one of these five issues.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

I don't like graphite on reels! :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.