My Atlantic Education

Started by Dan N., October 15, 2011, 04:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan N.

My wife and I just got back from a two week vacation in Florida and the Keys. I didn't bring any fishing equipment with me as this was intended to be a sight-seeing, snorkeling, and all around relaxation trip.

Let me start by admitting that for most of my life I've been a Pacific coast snob. My ignorance of the Atlantic coast was colored by images of rough, cold, dark and nearly lifeless waters...wrong! I was unprepared for what I saw when we hit Florida. The waters off the Florida and the Keys completely floored me!

Our first stop was at a resort on Conch Key. The resort had a nice fishing dock that extended into a quiet bay. A quick glance into the water and I could see it was teeming with life. I had no illusions of any major catch, but the thought of goofing around in the early morning while my wife slept in was too good to pass up.

So a trip to a tackle store as in order. Here was an experience I hadn't had in decades. Like most of you, I've been fishing since childhood. We accumulate equipment and tackle over the years. When was the last time you had to start from zero? Just what is the minimum you'd be comfortable with? I needed to do this as inexpensively as possible. Whatever I bought would be left behind anyway (airline baggage fees being what they are). Figuring I'd be sticking to the quiet bay, I opted for an inexpensive light spinning combo (i.e. rod/reel/line), a package of hooks and one of split-shot and for bait...some frozen shrimp. All in all, I got out for about $50.

Long story short...every bait that hit the water got picked up within seconds. I've never experienced consistent action like that before. Admittedly, most of the fish were about a pound or less, but a few made that spinning reel scream in protest. Adding to the fun was the fact that I had no idea what any of these fish were. Were they edible? What was the size limit? My catch-and-release cycle included me trying to take a quick picture with my camera-phone of each fish for later research.

A subsequent trip to the tackle store included the purchase of a "Sport Fish of Florida" guide. Now I was able to put a name to the critters I was catching. I found out that the small Jacks that were giving me so much action were called "Blue Runners" and are often used as bait for larger fish. My favorite quote about them in the book was, "Blue Runners fight so well for their size that guides often have trouble tearing their customers away after catching some for use as offshore bait". In addition to the Runners, I caught several types of Snapper, and an assortment of others species. All catch-and-release, all fun.

Our second stop was in Key West. After having so much fun, I booked an offshore excursion with our B&B proprietor. The trip was a bit pricey, but I figured that just being exposed to how they fish in the Atlantic would be worth the price. One of the first differences I saw was that most fishermen were using spinning rigs. I don't see spinning gear in my Pacific offshore trips very often. In fact, some of the spinning gear he had was much more advanced than any I'd ever seen before. One rig had a bait-runner setting allowing it to be use to flyline a bait, similar to a conventional rig.  

We took off at about 8am and made a stop on a shallow reef to "make bait". He started by putting a frozen block of chum in a net bag and hanging it off the back of the boat. Within a few minutes, the boat was surrounded by the residents of the reef. We then threw Sabiki rigs to catch "Pinfish" (a small perch like fish for use as bait). When the school of reef fish got close enough, he also threw a net to catch them more quickly. Once we had about 24 Pinfish, we headed to our first stop...some small islands rimmed by Mangroves.

At the Mangrove islands, he set the boat to drift in the current and instructed me to throw a flylined Pinfish along the edge of the Mangrove roots. He explained that Mangrove Snapper will hide in the roots. When they see the bait, they'll dart out, grab it, and try to dart back it. We made several passes but didn't get any Snapper. I did, however, catch a nice "Great Barracuda". I've caught the Pacific Barracuda many times, but this was my first experience with the "Great" variety. Nice fight, and a very impressive set of teeth.

We then headed out to a deep water reef. Again, the chum bag was used to draw the locals out. We were surrounded by fish on all sides. The chum also made it much easier to see where the current was going and how strong it was. We varied our offerings with flylined Pinfish and chunks of a local bait fish called a Ballyhoo. I hooked and landed a decent "Cero" (a Mackerel like fish with a set of teeth that would make a Shark envious). The Cero gave a nice fight with long fast runs. I hooked several more but they kept biting through the line. Seeing that the Cero were biting, the captain switched us to wire leaders.

After a while, the captain switched our rigging to target "Yellowtail Snapper". These are beautiful fish (very popular in local restaurants) and give a decent fight on light tackle. I hooked and landed a nice one (about 12 inches). Then to my surprise, the captain got out a heavy conventional rig with a massive lead-head feather jig on it, pinned the lead-head hook through the nose of the Snapper I'd just caught, and threw it out. This, he explained, was how you fish for large Grouper. I can honestly say I've never used a fish I intended to eat for dinner as bait before.

Well, what fishing story would be complete without mentioning the "one that got away"? Something big hit that Snapper and bent that conventional rod double. It stayed on for about a minute and then spit the hook. I don't know what it was...but it was big enough to take a legal Snapper.

During the trip, the captain and I talked and compared techniques he was familiar with and those I commonly use in the Pacific. As an experiment, I'm sending him some jigs and such that we use in the Pacific to see if they produce any results for him. The logical side of me says that the reason these rigs are not used is that they don't work for them. But still, it will be fun to try. Who knows, we might find a new technique that will give him an edge.

All in all I hooked many, lost many, landed some, and kept a few. I had a great time and learned a bit about how my Atlantic brethren fish. I was struck by the beauty and incredible variety of the Atlantic fish we were seeing and catching. I can honestly say that I'm a Pacific snob no more.

Posting only one picture (one of the Yellowtail Snappers we caught and used for bait). Not big to be sure...but I had a blast.
Qui Tacet Consentire - Silence gives consent

To a man that has only a hammer, the entire world looks like a nail - Abraham Maslow

Norcal Pescador

Thanks, Dan!

Great report and insights to fishing "Florida style". ;D 
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dominick

Dan:  The Florida Keys are on my bucket list.  Just last week my friends from New Jersey were talking about a trip through the Keys.  Just might do it this winter.  Thanks for the report.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

dan, you should write for a magazine!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

conchydong

Glad you had a great time in Florida Dan. Although I now live in Pompano Beach, I was born and raised in Key West (5th generation from there). So much variety as you have flats, backcountry, reef, wreck and offshore fishing. Even when the wind is blowing hard in one direction you can always find a place to fish somewhere. Great post!

Alto Mare

Nice report Dan. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did you get to taste that grouper?One of the best fish I ever had.

Dominick, Florida isn't Cabo. I cought that dodo that I'm holding on my avatar in Islamorada,Florida ( the fishing capital of the world ) . If you decide to go, make sure to share the trip with a couple of guys, my trip cost me $1400, but I did have the boat to myself for 7 hours. If you decide to go in the winter, I could probably keep you company, and also show you how it's done old man;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dan N.

@Alan and conchydong: Thank you very much. I enjoyed reliving the trip while writing it down.
@Dominick: They are a worthy addition to your bucket list. My first love will always be Hawaii (I lived there as a young boy), but the Keys are definately a close #2 for me.
@Alto: Yes, we had fresh caught Black Grouper prepared by the gormet chef (and wife) of my trip/captain and the proprietor of the B&B. Delicous. So was the fresh caught lobster he picked up as well. From what I saw, you could spend years sampling all the cuisine offered in the Florida Keys.  As far as accompaning you on a trip...I'd love it...as long as you refrain from calling me "old man"  ;D

Cheers everyone!  

To a man that has only a hammer, the entire world looks like a nail - Abraham Maslow

Alto Mare

Sorry Dan, a little misunderstanding. I thought I called  Dominick an old man... which he is ;D. But he's still a tough bird.

Dan, did you have that Grouper blackened?

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rare

Great report!  ;D No other place like it! Home sweet home!! The only reason I still live in Miami...lol

Dan N.

Hi Alto:

We had the Grouper several ways while on the trip, but never blackened. The most memorable was the evening we had dinner with the owners of the B&B we stayed at (Atlantis House in Key West).
The owners (man and wife) are both gourmet chefs. Our dinner began with a cold lobster appetizer, followed by the above described Grouper and finished off with a homemane key-line pie. She makes it with a meringue layer (first I've ever seen). It was outstanding! Dinner was so good, I took pictures of each course (attached).

-Dan-

Dominick

Now that is a sweet looking piece of meringue...pie that is ;).  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dan N. on October 16, 2011, 08:06:04 PM
Hi Alto:

We had the Grouper several ways while on the trip, but never blackened. The most memorable was the evening we had dinner with the owners of the B&B we stayed at (Atlantis House in Key West).
The owners (man and wife) are both gourmet chefs. Our dinner began with a cold lobster appetizer, followed by the above described Grouper and finished off with a homemane key-line pie. She makes it with a meringue layer (first I've ever seen). It was outstanding! Dinner was so good, I took pictures of each course (attached).

-Dan-

Everything looked great Dan, wish I was there! Now you made me hungry :(. I better go get something to eat :-\
Quote from: Pescachaser on October 16, 2011, 09:30:38 PM
Now that is a sweet looking piece of meringue...pie that is ;).  Dominick

X2 !  ;)

redsetta

Great report Dan, really enjoyed the read.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer