Charter special tr2000

Started by hightide, October 16, 2011, 06:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hightide

I recently acquired a charter special tr2000 for $40
What pole would be perfect for it without putting a hole in my pocket?
For use on yellowtail/white seabass n

JGB

I would set it up on a 30# rod 7 foot. Before The rod consider upgrading the drag to carbon fiber and stronger bellevills. If your going for larger YT the level wind could cause problems (make sure the level wind is synchronized to the line on the spool). I set mine up with the frame upgrade from Alan that deletes the level wind and makes for a stronger reel with much better free spool. I'm able to get around 15# at strike. You might be able to do all this for around $130 (SWAG) including your reel purchase (that is if Alan still has some of the first run frames).

Enjoy,
Jim N.

wallacewt

me id get a 15kg ugly stik.$50 approx.tough as a billy goats knee,good luck

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on October 17, 2011, 04:35:35 AM
tough as a billy goats knee,good luck
Wallace:  you slay me with those homilies :).  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

TonyFriend

If you're going to chase that size of fish, you DEFINITELY should upgrade to the Cabontex drag washer. It's only $10. Give it a light coating of Cal's grease and you'll love it. I agree that the level wind is very suspect for the sort of fishing you will be doing. You can remove it quite easily when you have the reel apart fitting the Carbontex washer. Or you can spring for the extra $$ and effort to fit the "Alan Tani" frame.

Also, spool it with 50lb Spectra braid - you will need 400 yards to fill the TR2000 (actually, the TR1000 is easier to deal with, and easier to fish with, and still holds 300yds of 50lb braid)

Good luck

alantani

"The wand picks the wizard, Mr. Potter......".
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 08:18:39 AM » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's common on internet boards to see a guy say that he as a reel and wants to match it up to a rod.  It's difficult because rods will typically give you a line weight rating.  Just like with reels, I would rather see them list a drag range.  I believe that using a drag range is the most reliable way to establish a proper rating for a rod.  Experienced fishermen all have a "feel" for what is well balance, but have probably not thought it through in an OBJECTIVE manner.  Yeah, there's that word again!  Here's the procedure that I go through. 

Place any reel with any heavy line (it doesn't matter) on the rod.  Button down the drag.  Run the line through the guides and tie it off to a milk jug.  Place the rod in a holder of some sort so that the rod butt rests at a 45 degree angle.  Now add weight (cut a hole in the jug) until the rod bends to the desired flex that you want.  I look for the rod to bend until the tip is midway between the top of the arc and the bottom of butt of the rod.  You may desire more or less flex.  It depends upon the type of rod and your personal preferences.

Now total up the weight in the jug.  Let's say that you have a medium weight rod that flexes to a desired amount with only 10 pounds of STATIC weight.  You have now determined the proper drag setting for your rod.  Remember that guides will typically add about 10% to the DYNAMIC drag.  Remember also that I use all guides for drag settings of less than 10 pounds, a roller tip for drag settings of 10 to 15 pounds, a roller tip and roller stripper for drag settings of 15-20 pounds, and all rollers for drag settings of 20 pounds or more.  But that's just me. 

Next, choose a percentage drag setting.  Different people have different preferences.  You might typically fish as heavy a drag setting as 33% or as light as 25%.  Anything more risks line breakage (been there).  Anything less is wasted unless line abrasion resistance is a concern.  Admittedly, I fish some rigs as heavy as 40% and others as light as 12%.  Let's just say that we will stay within average parameters.  With a desired 10 pound drag setting at a 33%, you need a 30 pound mono.

Finally, decide how much line you really need.  Typically you only need 300 yards of line capacity.  What kind of fish can take a 300 yard run on you if the drags are properly set?   Fer cryin' out loud, guys!  That's the length of three football fields.  Why in the world would anyone need 1000 yards of line?  In the vast majority of cases, it's lack of confidence, low drag settings or you're fishing WAY back.  Remember out friend at the dinner party?  Yeah, very few fishermen actually check their drag settings with a scale.  I'm sorry that this is so harsh, but unless the fish is larger than 5 times the line weight, I see no excuse for getting "spooled."
Finally, select a reel. It has to have the capacity to hold the required amount of line, deliver the required amount of drag and still maintain the required amount of free spool.  Luckily, you've got just the perfect reel!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!