Help Identifying an Everol Reel

Started by Spyderman, May 25, 2019, 08:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spyderman

Greetings!

I recently acquired an Everol reel, and need some help identifying which model this may be, and what year(s) it may have been in production.  Aside from being an Everol reel made in Italy, there are no numbers or lettering on the reel that would indicate what model this reel is.  When I disassembled the reel to give it a thorough cleaning, I found no numbers or other markings on any of the parts (unlike Penn reels).  The innards of the reel were in great shape, and just needed a good cleaning and re-lubrication before re-assembling.  It has a double dog assembly, and boy do the Italians like to make use of loose ball bearings and tiny springs.  ;D

Here are some photos of the reel.  This is my first Everol, and it's really a well engineered piece of machinery.  Just took my time and a lot of photos to ensure I didn't get confused as to what went where.  Special thanks to member 'redsetta' for his excellent tutorial on a 2 1/2 Everol he went through.  Any input is greatly appreciated.

Spyderman

Additional photos.

Spyderman

And a few more photos.

handi2

It looks like a 6/0 to me. I'm surely not an expert. You can contact Everol to get a carbon drag upgrade.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

54bullseye

Looks like 6/0 or possibly 4/0 and its an early 1960s reel maybe 62 to 67 in that range here is a similar reel mounted in a cradle.   John Taylor

54bullseye

Looking at the drag scale I will say Keith is right a 6/0 my smaller cradle is a 2.5 size and drag scale would be same as a 4/0.    John Taylor

Spyderman

Quote from: handi2 on May 25, 2019, 10:55:02 PM
It looks like a 6/0 to me. I'm surely not an expert. You can contact Everol to get a carbon drag upgrade.

Keith

Hey Keith!

I went to the Everol website, and sent along a question.  The site wouldn't allow me to attach photos to the email, so I hope to hear back from them, and to be able to send along photos for a positive identification.  The absence of any specific model number or name made me want to think that it may be a prototype or a 'mock-up' for a later production run.  Aside from being dirty and caked with old, stiff grease inside, it cleaned up beautifully, and operates smooth as can be.

Spyderman

Quote from: 54bullseye on May 25, 2019, 11:12:21 PM
Looking at the drag scale I will say Keith is right a 6/0 my smaller cradle is a 2.5 size and drag scale would be same as a 4/0.    John Taylor

Hey John!

Your collection of cradle rods and their reels must be amazing! As you mentioned, based on the drag scale, it's in line with your 4/0.  Based on another thread on Everols I read here, it seems that the 'black label' reel plates indicate a 60's vintage production.  I hope the folks at Everol do reply to my email, and that I can send them a few photos of the reel.  I also need to locate the lower portion of the rod clamp, and the washer that goes beneath the bolt that secures the handle to the main drive gear.  I have two smaller washers inserted now to protect the handle from becoming scarred by the edges of the bolt head.  Thanks for responding to my quest.  ;D

54bullseye

I have talked to Everol and the confirmed early to mid 60s for black drag scale. Also many of the early models aren't marked with size so pretty sure you can rule out proto type.  John Taylor

Spyderman

Darn!  I was hoping Everol would offer me thousands for the long lost, handmade prototype that would be the crown jewel in their museum collection.  ;)

54bullseye

Here are pics of a 4/0 and a 12/0 with black drag scales neither have size marked. Last pic is one of the first 100 Everol reels a 7.5/0 and according to the owner of Everol Italy made in 1958 and it's a two speed !!!   John Taylor

Spyderman

Good golly!  That 7.5 is amazing, and a two-speed too boot!  Is that 7.5 reel for a lefty?

Is there a reel that you're still looking for that you would consider to be your 'holy grail' reel?  :D

54bullseye

About 20 of them LOL !!!!!!! I guess as far as Everol a 12/0 from 1958 !!!   John Taylor

54bullseye

Spyderman

Huh, so pull back to increase the drag, versus pushing the lever forward...wonder why Everol changed the direction with their post 60's models?

Might you know what the significance of the two stylized figures (girls?) represent in the Everol logo?