Double row Ball Bearings???????

Started by Nessie Hunter, October 17, 2011, 08:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nessie Hunter

I have an account at Boca Bearings to order odd ball size bearings etc..
So I get emails from them all the time..

I got this Yesterday and was very curious if they are a 'new product' or have they been around for a long time and I just didnt know of them???

Big question is ~ would they eliminate the need in Lever drag Reels for the Spool Bearing Sleeve??
It says they are capable of handling BOTH Radial & Axial loads??? 

**Double Row Deep Groove Ball Bearings have the same design as Single Row Deep Groove Ball Bearings. They have deep raceways with a high degree of contact between the ball and raceways. Double Row Deep Groove Ball Bearings are capable of handling both radial and axial loads and are suited to applications where higher load carrying capacity is necessary. **

Inquiring minds need to know!!!   ???          LOL

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

not sure.  it would, in theory, be the same as a stack of two standard ball bearings.  it might actually work!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on October 17, 2011, 08:17:58 PM

**Double Row Deep Groove Ball Bearings have the same design as Single Row Deep Groove Ball Bearings. They have deep raceways with a high degree of contact between the ball and raceways. Double Row Deep Groove Ball Bearings are capable of handling both radial and axial loads and are suited to applications where higher load carrying capacity is necessary. **

It sounds like they should work if a higher load factor is needed. But I understood that the least amount of contact between the balls and the raceways is the objective for the least amount of friction / rolling resistance.  A compromise, or a way to get maximum load in the given space while sacrificing speed?  My 2 cents. Please explain if I'm wrong.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Keta

The spool sleeve is a spacer not a friction reducing device so putting a bearing there would be a waste of money and time. 

A flanged angular contact bearing would work far better for thrust, are good for radial loads and do not have the potential to crack the race like a deep groove bearing will.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Nessie Hunter

Great Info all, thanks.....   

Looks like the sizes they are available in are on the large size for reels anyway...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!