Lube a spool bearing

Started by Anjoemara, October 17, 2011, 08:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anjoemara

Hello forummembers

What is the proper way to clean a spool bearing. I have read: Cleaning in zippo lighter fuel and then blow it dry with dry air and let it dry for a while. Then putting rocket fuel in the bearing. Is this ok. Sorry for poor english.

alantani

you have to open the bearings, clean it out with compressed air, then carburator cleaner, then compressed air again.  it really is the best way.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Alan, I would love to see you use this stuff once and let me know what you think.
You can get it at Home Depot for around $6. I've been using it for over a month now and I'm always amazed on how well it works.
All it takes is a little shot  on each side and watch that bearing go. I'll  add one drop of TSI 301 afterward.

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Anjoemara

Quote from: alantani on October 17, 2011, 10:11:24 PM
you have to open the bearings, clean it out with compressed air, then carburator cleaner, then compressed air again.  it really is the best way.  alan

Thanks a lot Mr Alantani. Very helpfull. I will do that and after the cleaning I lube the bearings with rocket fuel yellow for fishing and tournament for casting on the grass.

alantani

found the msds.    it's an organic solvent and a freon propellant.  these are potential neurotoxins.  the risk is minimal, and would only be problem if you inhaled high concentrations for a long time, like teenagers trying to huff it to get high.  

Hazardous Components (Specific Chemical Identity/Common Name)
OSHA PEL ACGIH TLV %
Heptane CAS# 142-82-5 < 75.0%
Ethane 1,1 Difluoro CAS# 75-37-6 < 35.0%
Hazard Ratings: Health – 1 Fire – 3 Reactivity – 0 Other – 0
(N/K = Not Known N/E = Not Established N/A = Not Applicable)
Section III: Physical/Chemical Characteristics
Boiling Point (of conc.): N/E Melting Point: N/A
Specific Gravity (of conc.): 0.72
Vapor Pressure of Container (psig @ 70F): 80-90
(Internal pressure will increase with temperature.)
Vapor Density (AIR=1): > 1 Evaporation Rate (H2O=1): > 1
Solubility in Water: Complete
Appearance and

Bryan Young

I like the label..."cordless" tool cleaner.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

yeah, i was going to let that one slide......  ;D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 18, 2011, 11:30:01 PM
I like the label..."cordless" tool cleaner.

Bryan, bearings don't come with a cord ;D.
Give it a shot.... you'll see what I'm talking about.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Anjoemara

What is the best way to remove the protection shield from the bearing?

kamuwela

dental pic's  work fine. look at the opening on the retaining ring.

Bryan Young

If no retainer ring, you have to pry it out.  I have some dental picks that I file down to a sharp, think point and push through the metal shield and pry up.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Anjoemara

Thanks a lot for the answers. I understand!

Alto Mare