Penn International 16S II

Started by SevenYearsDown, June 01, 2019, 04:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SevenYearsDown

So I was lucky enough to get this reel for a really good price. I was looking for a "heavy duty" 2 speed and this seemed to fit the bill. For the users of this reel, what would you say is the upper limit I can fish it with? Can it do 60-80lb? I am also 90% sure this has not been blue printed. What are your thoughts on that? Is that a necessity? I will be using this for dropper loops and yoyo for BFT.  Thank you.

SevenYearsDown

Also is it normal for the spool to turn when the handle is cranked even if it is in free spool? Will get a chance to open it up tomorrow and play with the washers to see if it changes the drag curve.

SoCalAngler

It's been a long time since I played with a 16S II but if my memory is correct to will not in any way fish the drag pressure needed for 80 lb test without it being blue printed. Hopefully when you open it up you will find one of Cal's stickers inside and if so he may have blue printed it or just serviced it. You will know pretty fast if it was in fact blue printed by anyone because if not you will loose freespool quickly without that much drag on the reel.

Maybe that was the 12T I'm thinking about?

alantani

Quote from: SevenYearsDown on June 01, 2019, 04:25:04 PM
So I was lucky enough to get this reel for a really good price. I was looking for a "heavy duty" 2 speed and this seemed to fit the bill. For the users of this reel, what would you say is the upper limit I can fish it with? Can it do 60-80lb? I am also 90% sure this has not been blue printed. What are your thoughts on that? Is that a necessity? I will be using this for dropper loops and yoyo for BFT.  Thank you.

i generally try to get 80 pound performance out of these.  you've got to lean pretty hard, but it will perform to that level with a little coaxing.  the problem is that it works off of only one drag washer surface, so getting enough drag out of the reel is tough.  and, for a 60 pound reel, it's just too big for my tastes.  i have a pretty random assortment of stainless steel bellevilles that help.  you have to fiddle with it alot, but it's workable. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SevenYearsDown

So I also got a 12t that was blue printed and with the tiburon top less frame. Can anyone tell me what the sticker means? All I get from it is 50/60lb and ht100 drags.

As for the metal washers, where did you get them? I just opened mine earlier as the parts arrived. I replaced the drag plate with the new dura drag and for the washers I arranged them to (())). The drag increased a it than when I first tried it, or maybe it's just my imagination. The bearings are a little rough and for sure need replacement. What sizes are these? I also saw the tutorial for the brass sleeve. I might give that. Try.

alantani

it might be for 50 to 60 pound topshots, so 15 to 18 pounds at strike.    for bearings, i'm not sure.  calipers to measure them are the way to go, here.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

That looks like stickers I was talking about from Cal's 2 Speed. I know they kept pretty good records so you if you give them a call I bet they can tell you exactly what was done to that reel. Also you could talk to them about the 16S you have at the same time.

Edit: Looking better at the sticker here is what I get.  HT 100 drag washer, J.P. Not sure what that means but 50/60 line. Bearings and sleeve. Oh yeah it looks like it was dated at the top March of 03. and the last bit looks like Cal's signature.

steelfish

I had a 16s and got lots of help to understand the use of the benevilles and how to play with them to increase the drag a bit, I sold it cuz it was time to thin the herd and as Alan da' boss said, the reel was too heavy to fish 60# line, I really liked the reel and always wanted to have one since I was younger "the all mighty gold shiny penn international reel" but it was just shelf material after me getting the Makaira 15 and the Baja Special for drop loop.

you might want to take a look at this thread.
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22537.0

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Quote from: SoCalAngler on June 07, 2019, 04:30:26 PM
That looks like stickers I was talking about from Cal's 2 Speed. I know they kept pretty good records so you if you give them a call I bet they can tell you exactly what was done to that reel. Also you could talk to them about the 16S you have at the same time.

Edit: Looking better at the sticker here is what I get.  HT 100 drag washer, J.P. Not sure what that means but 50/60 line. Bearings and sleeve. Oh yeah it looks like it was dated at the top March of 03. and the last bit looks like Cal's signature.

I'd bet, Jinkai Premium, from that time frame.

SevenYearsDown

Thank you everyone for all the wealth of information. I followed the provided link and messed around with the washers, and also found some spool bearings (just need the right side plate bearing now). And I am pulling about 18-20lb at strike with the 16s. Here are some pictures of the two.

jiggermyster

Quote from: SoCalAngler on June 07, 2019, 04:30:26 PM

[Zombie thread alert!]

"J.P." was the John Pandelis (sp?) Special treatment.

Story was, John liked to fish cows with his 12T's so Cal did some special tweaks to make them work.
DYHOLI!