Channel Islands 6/4/19

Started by Swami805, June 05, 2019, 05:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Got out yesterday on our bi-monthy charter on the island tak  weather foggy overcast June gloom but no wind just a mite chilly. Went to Santa Cruz Island first, Anacapa island to finish the day. Found some seabass that wanted to bite,  caught a few but the limit is just one this time of year. Randy was fishing too and got one. Had a boat limit by nine then we chased calico bass that didn't want to bite for the rest of the day. Fun day, always worth going if if the fish don't bite, thankfully there's almost no humans there so they're still wild.
A few pics, be eating well for a few days
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

wow! nice fish! our sea bass in NC are rather different, lol. you almost never see one over 17" and that's rare- they look more like your rock fish, which for us is a striper.

Jim Fujitani

Our white sea bass are the largest member of the croaker family.  And excellent table fare! 

Nice 'biscuits', one of the only three fish that my wife favors.

steelfish

beautiful Ghost compa Sheridan

I can just  imagine the fight and got exited !
what reel where you using? a newel?

The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Shark Hunter

That would be that Fat Sea Bass,
More like a Slob. ;)
I love catching Slobs, Pigs, or any other name for a huge fish! ;D
Life is Good!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 06, 2019, 06:57:02 AM
That would be that Fat Sea Bass,
More like a Slob. ;)
I love catching Slobs, Pigs, or any other name for a huge fish! ;D

Just kidding!

54bullseye

Sheridan & Randy nice catch !!!  Are they good eating ?  Randy I am gonna miss seeing you all a John's BBQ this year hope you all have a ball.   John Taylor

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Bryan Young

Nice fish BOYZ!!!  I yet to catch a WSB. That's on my bucket list.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

John,
White Sea Bass are very high on the list of great eating fish. In Peru, they are called corvina, and they make the BEST ceviche anywhere.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Benni3

Monster fish on light gear,,,,,, :D fantastic job,,,,,, ;D

steelfish

Quote from: Ron Jones on June 06, 2019, 02:47:04 PM
John,
White Sea Bass are very high on the list of great eating fish. In Peru, they are called corvina, and they make the BEST ceviche anywhere.
The Man

here in Baja is known as "Cabicucho" pretty close relative to the mighty & endagered "Totoaba" (which is the Mother of all curvinas)

here is you catch a WSB or Cabicucho you need to check the tail to know if is a totoaba and release it or if its a big Corvina and keep it (if you wish).
The Baja Guy

Swami805

Yes they are delicious, my favorite is sautéed and a pan with butter,olive oil and a little garlic, keep it simple.
Alex I was using a Trinidad 12, braid and a short piece of 20lb floro. Had a Newell on my jig stick and one for the donkey rig
Do what you can with that you have where you are