east coast ..rhode island fluke

Started by joe k, June 06, 2019, 01:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

joe k

yea with regs...have to keep fillet carcuss on boat for inspection ..if get boarded..always do..i only use the the white membrane straps for bait...eat the fillets...19 inch you get 2 nice strips which i make 4 out of for jigging..fork tailing a couple..

wascallywabit

Great thing about fluke belly strips is that you can catch 3-4 fish per strip. They are so damn tough that if you miss a pick up, you can just drop down again and continue to entice the same fish over and over. I have finally hooked fluke after 3 or 4 pick ups by dropping back down again and again. Can't do that with bait fish or squid. If you miss him the first time your done.

Not sure if the regs are the same for all states here on the east coast but I know that here in Jersey you don't want to be caught with fluke belly if you don't have the legal donor fish on board.

Ed

Decker

Quote from: wascallywabit on June 08, 2019, 11:06:15 PM
Not sure if the regs are the same for all states here on the east coast but I know that here in Jersey you don't want to be caught with fluke belly if you don't have the legal donor fish on board.

I thought so, which begs the question...  Which comes first, the fluke or the fluke belly? ::)  I guess no bait shop is going to sell it. 

So fluke have a taste for their own species...  interesting.