Problem with drag on 113H

Started by tbucketford429460, October 18, 2011, 08:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbucketford429460

I have a 113H with accurate frame and a narrow spool that I got from Alto Mare, I added stainless gear sleave and the new ht100 drag kit and a ht 100 under the gear. The problem Iam having is when I tighten the star drag down alll the way I still can pull drag off by pulling it with my hand. I found this out in Delaware with I caught A guitar fish when I pulled it up on the beach it pulled line off. So I tightend it down and like i said I cant still pull it off. >:( any buddy got any ideas.

thanks
wade

Alto Mare

Sounds like a problem with your stack configuration. Let me know the layout of your HT 100's and metal  drags. Did you install the tension spring over the last metal washer? Aslo, the HT 100's shouldn't be saturated with Cal's, very little is needed.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

tbucketford429460

I started with ht100 then washer with ears then ht100 then washer without ears then ht100 then washer with ears and so on, is the tension spring the one that is slightly curved if so I didnt half that as the last one.

Wade

Alto Mare

Wade, you need the tension spring washer ( coned washer ) above the last metal keyed washer ( without ears ). If you don't have it ,you could get it from mysticparts.com. The part # is 18-970. Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

there are slots cut on the INSIDE of the main gear.  those slots have to go all the way to the bottom and both slotted metal drag washers have to fit in those slots.  you might also have spectra slipping on the spool, or the spool slipping on the spool shaft. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Alan, it could be some of the things that you mentioned, but I don't believe  it is the spool slipping on the spool shaft. I sold him that spool brand new. I customized a few dozen of those reels ( before I realized that there was no money in it ) and the first one came back with the same problem that Wade is experiencing. Wen I asked the buyer to send it back, I reilized that I didn't install the tension spring. It cost me for shipping it back to him, but I quickly learned my lesson. Broadway mentioned that he couldn't find  4:1 Newell gears from Charkbait, I used to purchase a dozen at a time from them.

Bryan Young

Quote from: tbucketford429460 on October 18, 2011, 09:49:42 PM
I started with ht100 then washer with ears then ht100 then washer without ears then ht100 then washer with ears and so on, is the tension spring the one that is slightly curved if so I didnt half that as the last one.
Wade

Wade, from the gear, the washer stack should be ht100, keyed washer, ht100, eared washer, ht100, keyed washer, ht100, eared washer, ht100, keyed washer, tension washer, collar washer (I don't remember what they call it, it's a metal tub about 1/4" in lenght), star...  I sound like you lost 2 friction surfaces with the stack you mentioned, but you still should have 10# of drag.  You may need a longer collar washer to put more pressure on the drag stack.

Note, keyed washer is the one without the ears.

Hope this helps.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

tbucketford429460

My 113h Has maroon side plates and has a metal steped collar that fits inside the hole were the gear shaft comes thru, I am switching the side plates to the newer red style and I have order the spacing collar and new tension spring that should take care of the problem. I had the same thing on my 12/0 it was also missing the spacing collar. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

thanks
wade

Alto Mare

Quote from: tbucketford429460 on October 19, 2011, 03:08:38 AM
My 113h Has maroon side plates and has a metal steped collar that fits inside the hole were the gear shaft comes thru, I am switching the side plates to the newer red style and I have order the spacing collar and new tension spring that should take care of the problem. I had the same thing on my 12/0 it was also missing the spacing collar. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

thanks
wade

If you did order the parts already...that's fine. In case you didn't; there isn't anything wrong with the older plates, in my opinion they're actually better than the newer ones. All you need to make that reel work is a belleville, that's the washer that goes on top of collar. That reel  also has the handle spacer, that's another belleville that is about 1/2 the thickness of the other belleville. You need to test the reel to see if you need the handle spacer or not. Good luck to you. Sal

tbucketford429460

Well finally got a chance to get my 113h narrow finished, had to order a few parts and redo the drag stack now when I tighten it down theres plenty of drag. Thanks for to all that helped.

thanks
Wade

Alto Mare

Nice looking reel Wade, I'm glad you got it to work. It could use a handle upgrade though :-\.

tbucketford429460

Thanks, I agree it needs a different handle. I'am going to order one from alan.

Wade

Bryan Young

Very good Wade.  Glad it all worked out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Looks great Wade - well done.
x2 on the handle upgrade.
My narrow 113H is my favourite reel (well, second only to my Progear 282).
Gotta love it when a plan comes together.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer