OKUMA CAVELLA 20's

Started by striperstalker, October 18, 2011, 09:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

striperstalker

I have just purchased 4 Cavella 20's for use for Albi's mainly in Northern Cal. They are new and I wanted to go though the before I start using them. I'm using them for troll rods mainly. 300 yards of JB 80lbs HC, topped off with about 225 yards of 40 lbs IZORLINE.
   My main question is what would you do to them before use. I'm mainly thinking of the prevention of salt water intrusion. I removed the side plate screws on one and found they seemed to have blue locktite on them, I was going to grease them and reinstall but was unsure what was better,locktite or grease. Any suggestions would be welcomed.I saw the tutorial on the 50 Cavella but did not know if the reals were built the same.
Thanks, Dave

Norcal Pescador

Grease on the screws!!  ;D  Sorry about yelling. ::)
Blue, or any color Loctite can ruin your day (and the reel) if the screws decide they ought to be permanent. The main advantage to grease is they will seal the water out and protect the screws and the frame with a barrier film if any water does get in. Can't say the same for Loctite. Try to remove as much of the old Loctite as possible with a dental pick, a hand-held wire brush, or anything that will get in between the threads. Run the screws back in the frame a few times and see if you're getting any Loctite out.

Good luck, Dave.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

striperstalker

Thanks Rob, would you recommend pulling the bearings and repacking or fish the way they are?

JGB

Cavallas. I've have owned the 15 and 20 (still have the 20's).
Sadly they are not in the Okuma USA 2012 line up.

For best performance:
Clean and oil the spool bearings (TSI).
Sleeve the spool (I have sleeves for this).
Pack the  pinion bearing.
Oil the crank shaft with a blend of TSI and CorrosionX
Grease all screws ( be care not to strip the side plate screws - the threads are very fine). Be careful not the pack too much grease in the screw holes or you will get bumps on the frame from the grease pressure.                     
Lube the shifter pin with TSI/CorrosionX blend.
Removing the Crank shaft requires the removal of the gears from the inside. Then the handle and shaft will come out as an assembly.
Lube the handle with TSI/CorrosionX blend.
Grease the reel foot assembly

When done you will have a very nice reel with 34# of drag and a low gear that allows winching then in. I fish this reel as a 80# outfit for dropper loop.

Any questions give me a call or Email
Jim Nomura
408-274-2660
jnomura@pacbell.net

Enjoy,
Jim N.

striperstalker

Thank JGB I will be doing real soon. I will give you a call.