Shimano Triton Mark I & II drag upgrade

Started by upperscupper, October 18, 2011, 11:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upperscupper

Hi, Anyone out there in reel land have any ideas/experience with Carbontex or HT100 drag washer upgrades for my old but well loved Triton Mark I & II reels? I have 2 of each and they could all use drag work for various reasons, (they are getting old and tired like me!) is there anything available?

Thanks, Jim

alantani

these are the old gold reels, right?  drag washers have to be hand cut.  match them up to something on the penn drag washer list.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

upperscupper

Alan, I tore the Tritons down so I could measure the stock drag washer diameters and thickness, using your Penn list I was able to buy the HT100 washers and they were a near perfect fit ( the slight differences in diameters did not matter). The Mark I's required three # 6-60's, The Mark II's required two #6-60's and one #6-113 to make the stack height correct. What an incredible increase in drag performance, silky smooth through the entire range. This upgrade made these good old reels even better,  Thanks again  (and in appreciation I drowned those washers in shimano drag grease!)

kamuwela

thanks for the info, people like yourself is what makes this site so good. keep um coming gang.
                                                  aloha
                                                  kamu

basto

Hi Upperscupper
Congratulations on owning 4 beautiful Mark 1 and 2 Tritons.
I have a mark 1 that is my most treasured reel because it was given to me by an extremely generous man in the USA.
I don`t fish mine. I replaced all the bearings and serviced the reel. I just pull it out every now and then to admire it`s build quality.
But I did not understand how you needed different washers in the 2 drag stacks because the Mark 1 and 2 have identical drags.
Anyhow, all the best to you and take care of those Tritons. They are a rare animal.
Basto  
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

yokoboko

Hi all, is there 4 drag washers to replace on a Shimano Triton Mark 2 reel?. when i opend the reel i found 3 waschers above the main gear and 1 under it , different size on that. i have bought a carbontex kit from ebay with 3 washers, contacted the seller about this and i measure the washer under the gear and think i gave him the right numbers,luckely he had the missing wascher so its on the way to me, i c now that he have 4 waschers in hes carbontex kit at ebay.
I problebly anserwd my own question but i never had this reel before so i want a confirmation,
Does anyone know howe much theese reels retail price were back in the days when they came?
Howe powerful is the drag in pounds in this reel?

basto

Hi Yokoboko
You are correct. There is 3 drag washers above the main gear and 1 under the main gear.
Part 21 is the 3 above the gear and they measure outside diam.:20mm, inside diam.:10mm
and part 25 is outside:22mm and inside:13mm

regarding the drag weight, I would guess around 15lbs.

basto

I sent the measurements to ERSKINES TACKLEWORLD in Cairns, Australia and they cut 2 sets for me, but I guess you could get this done locally.
Good luck and look after those Tritons. They are precious.
Basto

bluefish69

I haven't opened the box my Mark I is in about 5 yrs. I know that I had the studs for the rod clamp removed. The tackle shop where I bought the reel pull HT - 100's when I got it.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

yokoboko

Ty Basto for the fast reply, i got a bad flu that have kept me in bed for a while but now im better, think the the measures i gave the seller will be good then (22,6mm and 12,7mm and 1mm thick),well im gona try this reel in Norway soon for cod and halibut fisching so i want a perfect drag cus u never know what  size u get on the fish, heard they got several skrei cod over 40kg this year there, but the regular weight shud be around 5-10kg. Last year they caught a Haibut over 200kg so u never know what to get there. Well now that i got 2 Mark 2 i will looking for a Mark 1 there is one at ebay but its in bad shape acording to me, I want a perfect one, but ill think it can take years to find 1 to buy.