Removing spindle from Penn 10/0 reel

Started by Southern Aussie, October 19, 2011, 12:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southern Aussie

Can anyone give me some advice on how to remove the spindle from a penn 10/0 reel.. The reel is chrome brass and the chrome is pitted.  I want to have it rechromed but would need to remove the spindle and line pin first. Any help would be appreciated.

alantani

oh, this is not going to be fun.  i thing what penn does is to mill the spool out of brass, then have it chromed, then super heat it, then slide the spool shaft in and then let the spool cool down onto the spool shaft.  i bet you would have to heat it up to remove the spool shaft.  it would be an ugly process.  any possibility that you can chrome it with the spool shaft in place?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Southern Aussie

Thanks for the reply.. I thought that might be the case.  I'll take the spool to the chromers and see if they can do the job with the spindle attached.  I guess it won't make any difference if the spindle is also chromed.  They will only need to buff the inside of the spool.

Alto Mare

Make sure you get the cost for rechroming first. It might be better buying a decent 10/0 for around $200, if you're concerned about looks.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Southern Aussie

Yes I will certainly do that.  Penn 10/0's aren't getting any cheaper and the chrome/brass spools are hard to find.  I have two 10/0's at the moment and would like to bring this reel back to good condition if possible.  Thinking long term it should be cost effective if get the spool done at the right price.  This 10/0 was only $150.00 and cleaned up pretty good apart from the spool.  If its not cost effective I will have the choice of taking it fishing or reselling it.  Thanks for the advice

Alto Mare

I'm glad you like those older Senators....me too. I sold a brand new spool for $100 a couple of months ago and I'm sorry that I did. The 10/0 was and is one of my favorite reel, I had a few but sold most of them. I did keep a couple in excellent shape for myself. I bet that I'm one of the few that still has about a dozen new stand for those reels ...but they're not for sale. Take care and good luck with your project.  Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 19, 2011, 03:12:12 AM
I did keep a couple in excellent shape for myself.  ...but they're not for sale. Take care and good luck with your project.  Sal
You big tease ;D.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

blktwr2660

Hi,Guy's Me Again 8),Have you thought about Powder Coating ?Cheaper than Chrome ;D,and you don't have to remove the spindle ;).Also your choice of color  ::)
Not from around here,Just fishing and doing time on planet earth.