Started by Inspiro, October 22, 2011, 01:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspiro

Hi All
I'm new here
Great site & people, really one of my favorites

I live in Egypt
I fish mainly in the red sea
Normal fish is up to 50 lbs, common  species include Wahoo, GT, Groupers, Baraccuda, Tuna, bonito..etc
I don't fish that much; I'd consider myself very lucky if I can spend 25 days/year fishing

I'm about to buy my first trolling rod & reel
I'm comparing two reels that may seem very different from each other, but for some reasons either will cost me about the same.
First one is Penn Senator 9/0(made in USA)
Second is Okuma Solterra 50W- 2speed(http://www.okumafishingteam.com/family/283850)

Solterra seems very good on paper: two speed, higher drag
Penn doesn't seem to have any benefits over the solterra in terms of specs(almost same construction)
But I'm seeking your recommendations based on:
1- comparison of internal constuction for both
2- Long term durability for both
3- Effeciency at handling those fish with confidence at the reel I have at handfish after fish
4-Pros & cons of each

Thanks in advance

Regards
Inspiro

alantani

hard to say.  for fish up to 50 pounds, a penn 4/0 might work,  you'd have 350 yards of 40# mono.  what line weight and how much drag do you need?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jig-guy

I am with Alan, a Penn 113H Special 4/0 Senator High Speed (Made in USA, buy 1 over the internet used) it will do the job, easy to maintain, service it,  keep carbontex drags washers in it w/cals grease. If you are in a private boat no 50 pound fish will defeat this reel. Been there done that!
tl jg

Inspiro

We usually use 0.7mm mono for trolling, we prefer to keep 400 meters of line just in case
Many tend to get an overkill rod/reel in Egypt, I understand that this is not the best thing for the challenge with the fish, but we prefer to be ready for that big fish that may accidently appear(sometimes fish close to 100 lbs get caught)
my freinds advised me that even a 6/0 won't have anough drag, hence the 9/0 vs. solterra 50W-II comparison
Frankly speaking I don't believ emuch in tackle shop advise around me, that's why I'm asking for your opinion.

Thanks

Bryan Young

If you are looking at a reel that size, I would prefer a reel with a metal frame, and therefore, would go with the Penn 9/0 even though the 2 speed would be a great advantage.  There is nothing worse than a frame that breaks during the fight. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Inspiro

Thanks for your opinion
But I believe bothe are made of graphite with reinforcing plate
Senator:
Stainless steel frame rings enhances rigidity to prevent frame flex
Solterra:
Stainless steel reinforcing side plate rings
Stainless steel body armor reduces frame flex(20-50 models)

But off course this does not mean that strength is identical I cannot tell, from what is written senator is still not superior in anything

Inspiro

Come on guys
Somebody must know something about those Solterras!?

Inspiro

Bryan Young

Sorry, I miss read your initial posting.  If you are going to put 50# with drag setting of max. 20#, the solterra will be fine.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Inspiro

Dear Bryan
By fine you mean that the solterra is a better option than the penn, I have tried neither so i'm looking for practical experience
Thanks alot for your support

Inspiro

Bryan Young

Yes, a better option for 2 major reasons...lever drag and 2-speed.

With 50# test, you should not have any flexing issues that will cause the reel to break.

Inspiro

Dear Bryan
From your experience with the solterra what is the #of drag from which I should start worrying about frame flex?
Is it the same for the senator 9/0
Does this make the Daiwa 900H a better option than the senator 9/0?
Do you know about any problems with the Solterra gearing or any other cons?
Sorry for the many questions

Thanks in advance
Regards

alantani

the daiwa 900h with a drag upgrade is a better reel because the frame is solid aluminum.  i am still waiting on metal drag washers.  for the daiwa 900.

Inspiro

Dear Alan
What in your opinion is the safe drag on each of the three reels?
Solterra 50W-II
Penn 9/0
Daiwa 900H

What do you think about the construction of the solterra?Any areas to worry about?
Have you used the Solterra 50W-II?

My many quaetions about the Okuma because it is not as popular as the 9/0 or 900H so solid product reviws are very hard to find, specially from one as involved as you and many of the members around here

Thanks again

alantani

all three reels should be good for 80# mono and 24#'s of drag.  that's enough to launch me over a rail!

Inspiro

Dear Alan
You can never how valuable are the opinions I get from this forum & from you; especially when I cannot find teh kind of advice that really convinces me from many tackle shops around me
And a beginner who wants to try everything and the budget limit is not helping
As this forum is about reel repair, this is the perfect place for the kind info I need

So sorry for asking again, but as I said this is very valuable for me to take the right decision
What do you think about the construction of the solterra?Any areas to worry about?
Also are there any concerns when using it?

Regards
Inspiro