Penn Senator 9/0 vs. Okuma Solterra 50W-2speed

Started by Inspiro, October 22, 2011, 01:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

you should be fine as long as you fish the reel in this range.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Inspiro

Dear Alan
Are you trying to be neutral or something
If you were in my place, need to choose only one of the two, will have only this reel when trolling(no back up), which one will be your weapon of choice for the fish I listed, taking into acount that you go fishing may be once a month, you need a reliable reel with good corrosion resistance.
I know you can give me that answer, may be you can even pm me

Thanks alot in advance
Inspiro

alantani

well, the penn senator 9/0 is old school, but it only costs $150.  http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrp2.htm

i've never torn apart a solterra, but the new standards at okuma mean the reel will be far better than okumas in past years.  the okuma solterrra 50 wide two speed is a much more versatile reel and costs $300, but is limited by the graphite frame.  http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrOkuma.htm  if you can get the solterra at the same price as the penn, then definitely get the solterra. 

without knowing exactly how the reel is going to be fished, my first inclination is to recommend a 50 wide reel with a full aluminum chassis.  that means a penn international, an okuma makaira, possibly a shimano tiagra, an Avet SDS 50 or an Accurate ATD 50 Wide.  you are looking at a big jump in price.  i would guess that you are looking at a penn senator because it is less expensive, but a single speed reel with 24 pounds of drag can be brutal.  that said, a daiwa 900h would be preferred over a penn senator 9/0 because the daiwa has a full aluminum frame.  the drag washers in the daiwa would have to be replaced first, and i am all out of metal washers and they are on back order.  if a two speed is desirable, then the solterra would be your least expensive option that would still be reliable.  the construction is fine.  24 pounds of drag and straight 80# mono would a good place to fish this reel. unlike the shimano tld 50, the side plates of the okuma are reinforced with a stainless steel plate.  but with any graphite framed reel, you must consider the possibility of frame failure.  it is graphite, after all. 

so, how are you going to rig this reel - straight spectra, spectra to mono or straight mono?  what drag setting?  how much line capacity do you need and why that particular amount of line?  what will you drag settings be?  how big are your target fish?  a 50 pound fish is pretty small.  a properly serviced 4/0 senator 113hl with 80# spectra and 15 pounds of drag would land such a fish in 15 minutes or less.  has a back up rig ever been needed before?   give me the specs on the rod that you will be using.  you will you be trolling, but how about chunking, yoyoing, or flylining?  seated?  harnessed or railed or both?  describe the boat.  any physical limitations to the fishermen?   will you be able to service your own gear or will you need to send them into a shop for service?  corrosion resistance is just as much a function of a careful fisherman that takes care of his reels.  tell us more about the fishing you do.  photos are always appreciated.  guys here love a good story about fishing in other parts of the world! 

there is alot that goes into a selection of a reel.  are you ok with straight 80# mono and 24 pounds of drag?  at that low of a drag setting, you do not need to worry about the frame breaking at the base.  if you go above 35 pounds of drag, frame failure is a possibility, as it is with any grahite framed reel.  if you can get a solterra 50W two speed for the same price as a 9/0 senator, grab the solterra.  you'll be fine.  if you need 130# spectra and a 35 pound drag setting, get a reel with a full aluminum frame. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Quinnbozz

Oh ye old post rise,....rise I say! Rise from the dead! 
So iv got my 9/0 spooled with 1000m of 100lb braid (going to take off 100m and top it with 130lb mono and fish it as is on a 130lb roller rod trolling and drift. Found blue grease on the turnbuckle, I'm assuming it's in good shape  we will see how it dose next weekend,can't wait . It's yellowfin and mahi mahi time here but I'll be looking for wahoo and maybe a Marlin or sailfish while trolling
*Any cautions*

Soooo I'm looking at the okuma solterra slr-50L for a drift set up.....id like the 30 but can't find one cheep enough.
Will the slr-20 handle 80lb tuna? (Really that's proabably overkill but I don't know what to expect)

But....my questions are about the drag jargon you all speak of. :-\
Quote from: Bryan Young on October 23, 2011, 09:19:56 AM
Sorry, I miss read your initial posting.  If you are going to put 50# with drag setting of max. 20#, the solterra will be fine.

Quote from: alantani on October 25, 2011, 07:38:12 AM
all three reels should be good for 80# mono and 24#'s of drag.  that's enough to launch me over a rail!

What is the max drag of the okuma Slr50L , (it like 40ish {44#}something lbs right?) is that full spool or bottom
What will the graphite frame hold up to
Would okuma make a reel that can explode itself by giving it more drag than it can handle? ??? ??? ???

Thanks guys

Devin