AVET handle removal??

Started by Hogginhank, October 22, 2011, 04:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogginhank

I went through my new MXL a couple weeks ago but never touched the bearings in the handle knob. Well I just received my SX in the mail and thought I would go ahead and check the bearings in the handle but I could NOT get the grip off after I took the nut off?? I didn't want to do any damage so I just put the nut back on. Is there a trick to getting it off or am I just missing something?? Thanks for any input. Hank

Keta

Rock the handle up and down with a bit of outward force and it will work off.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

yeah, sounds corroded.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Hogginhank

Quote from: alantani on October 22, 2011, 05:48:12 PM
yeah, sounds corroded.....   :-\

It's a brand new reel. I think one of the washers is catching on the threads of the shaft ?? Didn't really give it a chance I guess. Only tried a couple times with some outward pressure and moving from side to side. I will check it out this evening.

Well a good thing about the 2 newer avets I took a part was that the large spool bearing and the one in the drag plate housing were NOT packed with grease and the shields were off of them?? Are they reading your forum Alan ;)

The tiny bearing was actually oiled eith a little grease in it and only had one shield on it. It made cleaning them and the relube a lot easier. I finally got my Reel X from Dawn and I have started the long process of relubing all of my saltwater spool bearings. That should keep me busy for at least 2 weeks. Lol

Thanks for the info. I will let y'all know how the handle tear down works out. Hank