Grease for reels and avet bearing

Started by Anjoemara, October 22, 2011, 08:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anjoemara

Mr Alantani, I have read your nice articles about lube and bearing. I have bought cals grease, after long searching to get it here, for the carbon fibre drag washer in the avets and I like it. It is very difficult for me to buy Yamaha Marine Grease. On ebay about $ 6,00 for 14 oz and international shipping for $ 35,00. It is too expensive for me.  :'(
Can I use the cals grease instead of the Yamaha Mariane grease for all the non-exposed metal surfaces? To protect the reel for (salt) water is going into the reel? Or will it be better to buy the Avet grease for protecting all the non-exposed metal surfaces. For the bearings I use rocket fuel oil. I would have tsi 301 but that is also too hard to get when not living in the USA.

The avet 5.3 sx has a tiny spool bearing on the right side. It is a'n open bearing. Now a stupid question: do you put the open side of the bearing first into the spool, or do you put the closed side of the bearing at first into the spool. I have two sx and the reels are different with the open bearing. Little difficult to explain in your language. :)

Norcal Pescador

Yes, you can use Cal's grease to protect all of the internal metal parts. Some of us in the USA use only Cal's even with easy (meaning not too expensive) access to Yamaha Marine grease. As for your question on the spool bearings, it is not a stupid question - a very important question. Unfortunately I don't have the answer for you. Sorry. :-\ 
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Keta

Not a stupid question.  The seal should be toward the source of contamination, out.

Any waterproof grease will work for corrosion protection, use what's locally available.  Cal's will work well for bearings you want to grease.  On my personal reels I use a product made by Zep called Iron Clad for frame and side plate corrosion protection, it dries to a semi hard film and works well.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Anjoemara

Quote from: Keta on October 22, 2011, 03:33:13 PM
Not a stupid question.  The seal should be toward the source of contamination, out.

Thanks a lot for the answers. So I understand I have to put the side with the open bearring first into the spool.

kamuwela

if the bearing has a shield on one side only, yes the open side faces inward's. just remember you want to keep the open side away from being exposed to water intrusion

Anjoemara

Thanks a lot forummembers! Sometimes I have a difficulty to get the right translation. But now it is clear to me. What a nice site this is with very helpfull and kindly members!!

kenwahoo

which Cal's grease as there's more than one. I've the standard and found it heavy for some of my bearings and had to clean it out and replace it with something else. May try it again as I saw the video of  a bearing packer and the bloke said to put the bearing on a shaft held in a drill and spun the bearing to loosen it.

Norcal Pescador

The most commonly used is the tan-colored. The purple Cal's has lower viscosity so it is good for cold climates and spinning reels.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

coastalobsession

To bad you cant get any Yamaha grease over there. Its a great grease to use. I like cals on drag washers but not so much on every thing else. I have had no problems with Yamaha.
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning