Should I buy a Penn Senator 10/0

Started by Surf Slayer, June 26, 2019, 10:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surf Slayer

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum and I want to take you in advance for you help. I want to start off by saying that I have spent the better part of the day (dont tell my boss) doing research on the senator 10/0, but there isn't a ton of information out there on it. I have been doing a lot of surf fishing with spinning reels and want to get into surf fishing for larger sharks. I'm not quite ready to invest $500+ dollars in a reel, so I was leaning towards a senator 9/0. That is until a came across a senator 10/0 for what looks to be a good deal. My primary concern with it is the availability of parts due to it being discontinued. My primary fear is warping the spool. What are the odd of this actually happening while shark fishing, and how can i minimize these odds. Also how can I tell the difference between the old model and the new one? The reel already has line on it so i cannot look at the spool. Is there anything else I should be concerned about this reel or upgrades you deem absolutely necessary right away. I already intend to upgrade the drag if it has not already been done.

I have attached the only two photos of it I have. I am going to check it out in person on Saturday and want to know as much as possible about it before then.

Thank you again for all of your help and I apologize if some of this has been covered in previous posts.

RowdyW

First off welcome, you should introduce yourself in the welcome section and tell us a little bit about yourself and your type of fishing. Second, you are not going to cast that to far or any conventional reel for large sharks. You're going to need a yak too. I would rather use a 2 speed from the beach. A single speed would be fine if you were in a boat shark fishing to chase it.     Rudy

foakes

Hi Demetrius —

Welcome!...like Rudy sez, introduce yourself to the site — you will get much more help doing that...

As for the 10/0 being discontinued —  I wouldn't worry too much about that, since most parts are still available — most parts are the same on a 12/0, with the exception of a few parts like the spool, and stand.  And even those parts are available through worldwide sources.

The 10/0 was discontinued possibly 30 years ago.

Of the big Senators — 10/0, 12/0, 14/0, and 16/0 — just remember that a 10 is just a slightly narrowed 12.  As is a 14 a slightly narrowed 16.

And the reality is, if the reel hasn't been abused (and it looks like it hasn't) — most parts should be fine, after a good cleaning, new modern drag stack, and proper lube and oil.

10/0's are a special reel to a lot of folks — hope you are able to get it.

And if you are serious about your fishing — this isn't the last reel you will own.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

You will get a variety of thoughts here most applauding the purchase & use of most any Senator reel.

But honestly for $500 you can get a very nice used 50 size reel. $570 or close gets you a brand new Avet 50.

Unless fishing these older style reels is just your thing there is absolutely no way I would spend that kind of money for a Senator I wanted to fish. A big 2 speed is so much more efficient & enjoyable for me to fish... Jeff

Surf Slayer

Quote from: RowdyW on June 26, 2019, 10:26:47 PM
First off welcome, you should introduce yourself in the welcome section and tell us a little bit about yourself and your type of fishing. Second, you are not going to cast that to far or any conventional reel for large sharks. You're going to need a yak too. I would rather use a 2 speed from the beach. A single speed would be fine if you were in a boat shark fishing to chase it.     Rudy

Thank you. I will definitely go introduce myself. I have a kayak and plan on using it to kayak out the bait. I wish i could afford a 2 speed reel but they are so darn expensive. one day

Surf Slayer

Quote from: foakes on June 26, 2019, 11:34:46 PM
Hi Demetrius —

Welcome!...like Rudy sez, introduce yourself to the site — you will get much more help doing that...

As for the 10/0 being discontinued —  I wouldn't worry too much about that, since most parts are still available — most parts are the same on a 12/0, with the exception of a few parts like the spool, and stand.  And even those parts are available through worldwide sources.

The 10/0 was discontinued possibly 30 years ago.

Of the big Senators — 10/0, 12/0, 14/0, and 16/0 — just remember that a 10 is just a slightly narrowed 12.  As is a 14 a slightly narrowed 16.

And the reality is, if the reel hasn't been abused (and it looks like it hasn't) — most parts should be fine, after a good cleaning, new modern drag stack, and proper lube and oil.

10/0's are a special reel to a lot of folks — hope you are able to get it.

And if you are serious about your fishing — this isn't the last reel you will own.

Best,

Fred

Thank you for the response. Yes I am wanting it because It's as strong as the 12/0 but more affordable. I've heard conflicting options about fishing larger sharks with the 9/0. I know i'm not going to be catching a 10'+ shark with it but I'm aiming for between 5-10'. I have a daiwa bg 8000 spinning reel for smaller sharks like blacktips. I'm definitely going to get it now if it checks out. I recently moved down to Florida and have become completely and utterly addicted to saltwater fishing!

Surf Slayer

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 26, 2019, 11:42:07 PM
You will get a variety of thoughts here most applauding the purchase & use of most any Senator reel.

But honestly for $500 you can get a very nice used 50 size reel. $570 or close gets you a brand new Avet 50.

Unless fishing these older style reels is just your thing there is absolutely no way I would spend that kind of money for a Senator I wanted to fish. A big 2 speed is so much more efficient & enjoyable for me to fish... Jeff

you absolutely right, but I found a guy selling this senator  10/0 with a rod for $250. I feel more comfortable with that price for my first real shark reel. If i stick with shark fishing (which I fully intend to) I will make a larger investment into a more modern reel

thorhammer

very reasonable price for the reel alone in that condition.

RowdyW

Surf Slayer, check out my earlier post about having to get a yearly shark permit. With the spinner you can cast from the beach with a wire leader shorter then 4 ft. long. Yaking out a bait you need the permit. The new rule starts 7/01/19, that's only a few days from now. you've got to get 100% correct on the FWC quiz or no permit.  :-\

Surf Slayer

Quote from: RowdyW on June 27, 2019, 12:29:11 AM
Surf Slayer, check out my earlier post about having to get a yearly shark permit. With the spinner you can cast from the beach with a wire leader shorter then 4 ft. long. Yaking out a bait you need the permit. The new rule starts 7/01/19, that's only a few days from now. you've got to get 100% correct on the FWC quiz or no permit.  :-\

Thanks for the heads up, but I already passed the quiz and got my permit! The quiz was only 10 questions and wasn't hard at all. Overall it took about 30 minutes to complete the whole course and take the quiz. The permit was free too which was nice. You are correct that it goes into effect 7/1/19. I have also volunteered to do some tagging. I am all about conservation and learning about these incredible animals.

Surf Slayer

Quote from: thorhammer on June 27, 2019, 12:28:52 AM
very reasonable price for the reel alone in that condition.

That's what i was thinking. It's why I am a little nervous that something is wrong with it and I won't spot it because I dont have much experience with conventional reels.

thorhammer

hard to tell vintage from the pics. you MIGHT have a three piece spool. If you buy it, and i would, see if you can back -the line onto another reel, or despool and start fresh. the latter is the best option so you know what you have: fresh line and what kind of spool. If it's a three piece spool, wind on some heavy braid or dacron as backing- 100 yds will do- then top off with mono and you will avoid compressing the spool.

As Rudy, said, pop in greased carbon fiber drags- kit is about 15 bucks. We can help you through that.

Surf Slayer

Quote from: thorhammer on June 27, 2019, 01:05:50 AM
hard to tell vintage from the pics. you MIGHT have a three piece spool. If you buy it, and i would, see if you can back -the line onto another reel, or despool and start fresh. the latter is the best option so you know what you have: fresh line and what kind of spool. If it's a three piece spool, wind on some heavy braid or dacron as backing- 100 yds will do- then top off with mono and you will avoid compressing the spool.

As Rudy, said, pop in greased carbon fiber drags- kit is about 15 bucks. We can help you through that.

Thanks for the advice. Were the old three piece spools chromed? The seller said in his description that it is a chromed spool.

thorhammer

Yes, chrome over brass. Mine (from Daron the Sharkhunter) is one of my favorite reels.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Surf Slayer on June 27, 2019, 12:18:27 AM
Quote from: Rivverrat on June 26, 2019, 11:42:07 PM

you absolutely right, but I found a guy selling this senator  10/0 with a rod for $250. I feel more comfortable with that price for my first real shark reel. If i stick with shark fishing (which I fully intend to) I will make a larger investment into a more modern reel

Oh ! I misread your opening post I wouldnt hesitate to buy this reel at that price. I cant afford a newer  big 2 speed myself right now so I completely understand... Jeff