Lingville, Pacific Coast, USA June 30, 2019

Started by El Pescador, July 02, 2019, 10:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Today, June 30, I enjoyed a great fishing day in Lingville, off the Pacific Coast.

Juan (jlezama on this site) put together a fishing day thru our local fishing shop, Hi's Tackle in South City (South San Francisco to those of you out of town).

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28793.0

And what a day it was!!!

The day started at 3AM, up & loaded my car, heading to Emeryville harbor, off I80 @ Powell St. exit.  32 minutes with zero traffic, during normal commute traffic, it would be an hour & 15 minutes.  Been 5 years since I've last been here, so I printed a map to the N Dock.  Glad I did, at 4AM and DARK, glad to have the map and headlamp.

This was a Potluck trip, meaning bring something for all to eat & enjoy.  Knowing this, I ask Jennifer to make her special double choc. brownies (NO, not the new California style brownies!!!) and she did!!!.  

We stopped by Hi's Tackle on Saturday, and Jennifer asked Jonah, Hi's Tackle owner, what type of cookies he most enjoys, and you guessed it, a special bag just for Jonah!!

Boat leaves the harbor at 5:15AM, and see this!  The dawning of a new day!  My favorite time of day, before sunrise.

Heading out, we pass the new eastern span of the Bay Bridge and our new bridge single tower, and a view of the City by the Bay.

Day's a dawning..

On the way out, what else to do but check AT.com for new posts.  I see Sal has a beefed up 113HLW for sale, looks like a fair price to me.

First thing we did was to fill the bait tank with Sand dabs.  So, this is what $32.95 for Sanddabs get you at Tadich Grill - Oldest California restaurant in operation - looks like!  Martini is extra!

We used either a sabiki rig or 2-shrimp fly rigs to catch 60-70 Sanddabs.

Only fishing in 60' of water with a sandy bottom.   This was interesting for sure.

Capt. is moving slowly, only to find out this tanker was over the position we needed to fish!!

Lingville here we are!!!  First fish of the day, and first of MANY lingcods to be caught.

First Ling on the deck, and it pukes up, what else, Sanddabs!!!!  They are Lingcod Candy.

My first Ling of the day.

This fisherman standing to my right, he is from Russia.  Left there 26 years ago, lives here with the strongest Russian accent I've heard.  He is mostly a bass fisherman, and his reel was a low profile bass reel.  It seemed to do the job.

Another ling on the deck.

Here is Jonah, Hi's Tackle store owner, middle of the photo and the other 2 - the best ling cod fishermen on the boat this day.  Guy on the right won the fish derby - around $400.

Come on Man, you've got the entire ocean to fish, and you have to fish within 100' of us. REELY????

We fished on the Seawolf - 50' long and standing room for 35 fisherman.  today, we had 22 paid spots, we had PLENTY of room, for sure.

Again, ANOTHER BIG LINGCOD for the day.  

Let me step inside and show you the food.

Someone made these BBQ Beef ribs - we called them "Beat'n sticks!!!!!"

Egg Rolls from some location in SF.

Teriyaki beef sticks - Man these were great.

Jonah made korean short ribs - sorry no photo - ALL WERE GONE before I got back inside.

We are about done here in Lingville.   WHAT a great day!!!

Both deck hands, and I have to say, both were great on the scale of Deck Hands.  here they are cutting & slicing.

I have not seen this many Lingcod processed on one boat.  EVER.

One fisherman took all the Ling heads if you did not want yours.

Heading back in under the GG Bridge (for those of you out of town, GG is for Golden Gate!!)

Inside the SF Bay, it is getting more spritzy and windy.

here we are trying to catch Striped Bass.  BUTT only caught Rockfish and Halibut - we were ahead of the tide we needed.

Gary the BUTT MAN!  How many Halibuts can you fit in one 5 gallon bucket???  Here, about 5!!!!!

San Francisco - The City by the Bay.

OK, this is a sight I've never seen on a Charter Boat here in this area.

Hard Side Coolers!!!!  They are not allowed, EVER. It states that on every boat's website.

BUTT today, the Capt. said, "Jonah, you are the Charter master, do as you wish!!!"  Jonah said, Coolers are allowed!!!!  Damndest sight I've ever seen,   we had 13 coolers all total today on the back deck.  Capt. said, they won't be in HIS WAY!!!!!

The island called Alcatraz - just one mile off the SF City shores.  Good time to rent "The Rock" and enjoy this action-packed movie.

We tried for 1 1/2 hours to catch Striped bass, today was not our day.  Too early in the tide cycle.  But this boat Capt. was willing to stay out till 7:30PM in hopes of catching some.  Great attitude for a Capt.  I'll be back fishing with him again.

Today, 5 Lingcod  were caught over 18 lbs.  NICE DAY for all.

Back to the dock at 6PM, headed home, TIRED for sure.  Cleaned the gear on Monday am.

Your roving reporter back in action.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

foakes

Wow, Wayne!

Great report — good day on the water!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Excellent report Wayne, that's some good eating right there.
Thanks for posting.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

great report as usual Wayne

nice day, congrats amigo
The Baja Guy

Maxed Out

Fantastic report Wayne !!

Hope you remembered to keep your fingers outta the mouth of them lings !!

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Dominick

Nice report.  Glad you had a good time.  The fish you gave us was delicious.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Wow! kudos Wayne on the photo tour. Top notch. Great shots of the beloved SF bay. There's been some great ling trips featured by site members this year.
I experienced the sand dab bottom fishing thing last year, down in the Big Sur area. Is this a new style of Calif. bottom fishing? Back in the day, as I recall, you weren't allowed to use a game fish as bait.
I like the idea of targeting several diffrent species in one trip. The Seawolf, I 'll remember that one for next year.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bryan Young

Looks like you all had a blast.  Where was Juan?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Benni3

Thanks for getting the pictures for us,,,,,,, :D fantastic place to fish,,,,,, :) great job man,,,,,,, ;D

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thanks for the great report Wayne.  Reading it was the next best thing to being there.  Congratulations to you an Juan for making it happen.

Tiddlerbasher

Thanks for the trip Wayne - looked like a great time.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

El Pescador

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 03, 2019, 03:55:11 AM
...  Where was Juan?

Bryan,

I received a text from Juan on Saturday afternoon with this message - " I have to cancel tomorrow, there has been a tragedy in our family.  So abrupt, I barely have enough energy to stand afoot".

that is all I know.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Bryan Young

Oh no. Wishing Juan and Hi's Family all the blessings in the world.

Wasn't Dominick supposed to go too?   I thought you bought 2 seats?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D