Grease and oil

Started by Anjoemara, October 23, 2011, 10:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anjoemara

Forummembers, hope you will help me please with the maintenance of my avets:

I now have the cals grease for greasing the internal parts of the avet sx and within a few weeks the avet mxl. Then I will also grease the carbon drag fibre of all the avets with the cals grease. I cant get Yamaha marine grease for the internal parts so I use the cals grease.

I have ordered corrosion x for maintenance after fishing. I clean the reels with fresh water after fishing in the salt water and then use the corrosion x.
I have learned here at the forum that I also can use corrosion x in the two spool bearings of the avets. In the past I have used rocket fuel but now I will use corrosion x oil. But I see on the internet there is corrosion x blue and red. What I need for the bearings? Blue or red? Much difference between them btw.

I also ordered reel x: what will be better to use in the spool bearings of the avets sx and mxl: reel x, corrosion x or rocket fuel. What is the difference between them. That is not exactly clear to me.

Hope my maintenance of the avet reels will be ok now for fishing on the salt water.

fshncrazy

Here's my take...from thickest to thin.  Corrosion X, reel X, speed X.   I use all three.  Corrosion X for internal and external wipe down, followed by penn blue grease (internal only)  and, reel X on entire spool (supposedly won't harm mono) and bearings that don't need to spin fast but need the protection, speed X straight for bearings only.  If I want to use the thinnest oil I use this stuff from trinity (RC product) thats almost has the viscosity of water that it penetrates even shielded bearings real good, I use this on my smaller reels where I want max freespinning of the bearing.  All the stuff is good, just depends on what your intended purpose is for the reel.  Shimano drag grease on drags and sometimes to cover my exposed anti-reverse bearings on my pro gear reels.   Cal's grease for the pinion and main gear along with the drags.  Just my 2 cents.  Others may differ.

alantani

that all sounds good to me.  it's not so important what you are using, just as long as you are using something!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!