Super tuned and upgraded vintage DAM Quick 330N bailess reel

Started by Milan S, July 14, 2019, 07:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milan S

Thanks Swami805! Thank you for your support!

Quote from: oc1 on December 19, 2020, 11:11:21 PM
Quote from: Milan S on December 19, 2020, 06:38:01 AM
No leather, no compression. Just presure.

Not to be argumentative or denigrate a really great project, but I still don't get it.  The space between drag washers of all types approaches zero whether there is a little pressure or a lot of pressure.  Cork can compress a lot, even carbontex can compress a little over time.  The usual way to provide more range (revolutions) on the drag is to use some sort of spring washer like a wavy washer or Belleville.
-s

Oc1,

The knob has a thread that fixes the spool, but at the same time it tightens the spring that is in the knob.
I will try to use the following photos to explain how the knob works ...

1. The front of the knob. A small thread can also be seen.

2.The back of the knob. See spring and part of thread.

3. The appearance of the spring that exists at the factory in the knob.

4. Knob and spring from another knob ...  :)

When you tighten the knob, the spring gradually doses the pressure to the spool.
I hope I was able to show how the knob works. Many are not aware that there is a spring in the some knob.

Milan S

I promised some more new photos for my dear colleagues earlier ...

331N insane beauty!!!

Oldmanjoe,
I am always there to help my colleagues. I hope that this old/new project with 331N will be just as interesting as the previous one.  ;)

Caution!Be careful, half bail on 330N is much better and more functional than this one on 331N !!! That arched part on it is not good because the braid wants to slip if you are careless when you pick up braid. On the 330N, that never happens. My design mistake.   :D :D :D
The half bail design on the my 330N modification is one I will always use. Half bail design on the my 331N modification is bad. Caution!

And of course we can be more elegant and lighter. It was done in a hurry because of my desire to try it on the water.

foakes

You are doing some excellent work on the Quick upgrades, Milan —

If there ever might be any new old stock parts you need — please let me know so that I might help.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

That a beautiful reel with a lot of attention to detail. The cork drag will last for years when properly used. As we all know Cork has been used as a drag material for many years. The Fin Nor reels used Cork.

You just need to start another build so we can tag along.

Congrats on your work..!!

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Milan S

Thanks a lot Fred!
I do these upgrades to suit the best ever made reels (DAM 330 all series...) to my needs. If something goes wrong during use, I will remember you and the opportunity to get to a new part. Despite the extreme quality of the 330 series, there is still wear and tear that accumulates during use.
I was already coming to the situation that the sliding bronze bearings were worn out and that an unacceptable gap appeared between the shaft of the main gear and the bronze bearing. Amazing, isn't it ...
I am aware that these gadgets are quite indestructible, and that I personally will one day not be able to fish anymore. I hope that someone might one day make a museum like this (DAM Quick reels) and that I will be able to send some of my reels.

handi2,
That cork, even if it becomes unusable, is replaced with a new one in 15 minutes. And that was one of the reasons for her choice.
I'm glad you like these works. I will try to be even more interesting and better. Thanks a lot for the support!

BCT7

Quote from: Milan S on December 20, 2020, 05:26:11 PM

Wow this looks very good. How did you polish the body? Did you use clear coat after polishing?

Milan S

Colleague,
First, I removed the factory paint from the side covers with acetone.
After that I use sandpaper.
The granulations I used were: 800, 1200, 1500 and 2000.
At 331N I stopped with a 2000 grit sandpaper. A uniform matte surface is obtained. No fingerprints remain on it.  :)
At 330N I also used a polishing paste applied to a greased cloth. Fingerprints remain on it, but it is shiny and looks as if it is anodized.  ;)
It is sanded and polished by hand.

Since I use them for freshwater fishing, there was no need for special protection.
After fishing, I wipe the polished surface with a fine and dry cloth.
I very rarely do that with a very lite greased cloth, usually after lubrication.
Efforts should be made to keep the cloths clean and free of grains of sand that would scratch the surface.

Milan S

Friends, I can't solve the problem of the non-reversible (superstoper ball bearing) brake. I haven't dealt with it too much, but it's time...
Does anyone have any suggestions? it is about 330N and 331N.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Milan S on December 25, 2022, 10:02:18 AMFriends, I can't solve the problem of the non-reversible (superstoper ball bearing) brake. I haven't dealt with it too much, but it's time...
Does anyone have any suggestions? it is about 330N and 331N.
Well the 331n you have two places to work with , the crank side can be made for a one way bearing ,were as the 330n  you pretty much only have the rotor main bearing you can change .

What don`t you like about the stock anti reverse , it`s fast lock ups and close ratchet notches with very little play ?   
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Milan S

I wish there was no sound. Some types of fishing require absolute silence. Even some of my colleagues ask for silence.
 :D

JasonGotaProblem

Would it be possible to dedicate this reel to left hand retrieve only, and rig up a 1 way bearing on the back side of the main gear?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on December 27, 2022, 02:19:33 PMWould it be possible to dedicate this reel to left hand retrieve only, and rig up a 1 way bearing on the back side of the main gear?
I am going to post pictures to show the difference between 330n and 331n were as the handle is concerned .  The 331 can go both ways .
    i will come back to this in a later post .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Milan S on December 27, 2022, 01:33:54 PMI wish there was no sound. Some types of fishing require absolute silence. Even some of my colleagues ask for silence.
 :D
OK so I picked up both reels and spun them .    The 331 was much quieter , so i opened it up to see why the big difference in sound .    Simple I had greased everything for saltwater use and did not do the same for 330 .  Now that I did it is much quieter . 

I will come back to this in a little wile , i need to find some old information on who may have done one way bearing and their findings , i am pretty sure it was done on a 270 reel and if my memory is rite a 330 with a home made handle housing .

handi2

I posted this somewhere on here. Rick Champagne built me a 706 I gave to my grandson. He used two anti reverse bearings both on the pinion gear. One up top where the 3/8x7/8x9/32 bearing goes and another on the other end of the pinion gear.

The reel still has its dog in place
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oldmanjoe on December 27, 2022, 06:04:56 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on December 27, 2022, 02:19:33 PMWould it be possible to dedicate this reel to left hand retrieve only, and rig up a 1 way bearing on the back side of the main gear?
I am going to post pictures to show the difference between 330n and 331n were as the handle is concerned .  The 331 can go both ways .
    i will come back to this in a later post .
I should have been more clear that I meant between the main and the body of the reel. But I love this thread so far.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.