Super tuned and upgraded vintage DAM Quick 330N bailess reel

Started by Milan S, July 14, 2019, 07:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Milan S

My wish was for 330N and 331N. I can't exactly sit the dimensions of the ball bearing in the rotor. The problem is the dimensions of typical non-return bearings. In addition, the inner cylinder of the non-return bearing should be fitted on the pinion itself. The pinion itself is not sufficiently hardened in heat treatment to withstand braking without surface deformation. After a while the rotation would become rough.

Perhaps Fred can provide the dimensions of the factory ball bearing in the rotor head for the 330N?

foakes

Quote from: Milan S on December 28, 2022, 06:33:43 AMPerhaps Fred can provide the dimensions of the factory ball bearing in the rotor head for the 330N?

Glad to —-

Will measure one tomorrow morning.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

I have already measured the main bearing , it is 8x19x6 mm.
   The smallest sprag bearing i have found is 8x22x9 .   there is not enough casting to make this work .

Than i took a look at the handle .  The handle shaft has a step in it . Bottom one in the picture .  This could be replaced with a shaft from a quick ,but the shaft is not a true 7mm it`s more like 6.80 mm,

Than there is the main shaft and it has a step in the end of the shaft .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Milan S

Thanks Oldmeanjoe for measuring.
Everything seems to me that there will have to be a more complicated solution here...

I have some other ideas but they need time to be developed and tested. A solution with a non-returnable roller bearing would be the most elegant, but the question is whether it can be simply implemented.

If there are any other suggestions I will be very happy to consider them together.