Ceramic right spool bearing?

Started by Comedie, October 24, 2011, 03:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Comedie

tearing into my smaller Accurates again. Every year I seem to run into the same thing,,,, corrosion getting into the right spool bearing. Open stainless spool bearings. Have tried Corrosion X, TSI321, and a mix across several reels. Seems no matter what, that same bearing starts to corrode on the reels.
Are the hybrid or full ceramic bearings rugged enough for longranging? Pricey, but then I've been replacing the right bearing about every 2 years anyway.

alantani

you might have to start tearing down your reels after each fishing trip.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Hybrid and ceramics will not be any difference because the guides, inner and outer races are still stainless. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JGB

Ceramic or hybrid bearings in a accurate (BOSS series) will work fine but will make some noise. The Bearings will still be a problem when salt gets in them. It will crystallize around the balls and lock them in place until they crunch away.
I am assuming that the drags work fine during use so the water is getting in later.
On the accurate be sure to engage the drag before rinsing and free spool during storage to let the bearings breath. This will keep the water out of the spool bearings and the drags. Apply grease to the pressure plate bushings to help keep water out. The drag plates are not shielded at the center. You might try a little grease on the edges of the drag covers to keep water out (it might keep water in).
Last possibility is you may be tilting the reel to the right while retrieving. This will allow water from the spool to enter the right side plate and run down the spool cover and into the space between the cover and the pinion. I would think you would also have drag problems if this were the case.

Jim N.

Jim

Perhaps a different tack. I've been using penn synthetic reel oil on all the bearings in my atds for 5 or 6 years now. Haven't had a bearing replacement since, including the reels that went swimming on the backup rig.
I don't know what's in the stuff but I've never seen corrosion prevention like this before. I used to plan on bearing replacements in my atds as a regular feature, no more.
Thin (very!) oil so they all freespool like crazy, bulletproof protection.

Comedie

Thanks for the ideas guys. One of the things I note, looking closer at the Accurates, is that they seem a bit lacking on drainage holes. On the B2-665 I'm looking at, there is one at the bottom on the left side, and one in the plastic gear cover on the right side. The one in the plastic cover is not at absolute bottom either.
Minimal as the drainage is, I think the real problem may be when the reel and rod is left standing upright in a rod rack. In that orientation, there is no drainage hole at the lowest point on either side. Perhaps trapped seawater can make it past the edge of the plastic gear cover on the right side, but that is it.
Could certainly explain why my Accurates seem to get unhappy with the longer trips I've been doing the last few years. Most of the time the setups are stowed in the outside racks, gettting misted and washed over with seawater constantly throughout the trip.

I certainly think I will just plan on replacing bearings every year now too. This particular 665 had both spool bearings frozen up, as well as a lot of salt in the drags on both sides. Obviously was a lake of seawater in there. Maybe it is worth drilling additional drainage holes, in the frame for when stowed upright, and in the plastic drag covers for both common positions?

Interesting that the most exposed bearing on the reel, in the handle knob. seems just fine. Guess that's the difference between marinating yoiur bearings and drip-dry.

wallacewt

Comedie

Quote from: wallacewt on October 26, 2011, 11:44:52 PM
why not use a reel cover!
Yep,,, though once you've used the rig and put it back up in the rack, seems like enclosing it would just guarantee an even longer marination period. Usually I start day 1 with covers on everything, then as they get used the covers come off. The hope is that they drain and dry, but without the drain holes in the right places, that just doesn't seem to happen. Perhaps breathable and waterproof covers would help, tho.. keep the spray off them while in the rack and allow some airflow and drying to still happen.

Yesterday ordered enough of those SR3 bearings (and S688 and SR6 bearings for other reels I have) that I can just say "heck with it" and replace them anytime I have any doubt at all.  ;D 

wallacewt

i got the wife to make up some linen reel covers.leave them on all the time when not fishing,even out on the boat.swap reels,quick wipe,put em back on.i dont use vynil covers in the hot sun.if they get wet i strip em down.i wouldnt drill. .cheers

Alto Mare

Quote from: wallacewt on October 27, 2011, 11:35:21 PM
i got the wife to make up some linen reel covers.

You're a lucky man Wallie ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.