converting a 505 to a 506

Started by Walter_Lars, March 23, 2009, 02:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter_Lars

will a 501 spool fit a 506 ?
I haven't found a sorce  for a 506 spool
mysticparts.com is a lil bit confusing  about this
I know I can use newell posts and reel base
or is a differant way  like  changing bearings so I can use a 501 spool ?

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

alantani

shoot!!!  i knew i should have taken some pictures!!!!  i had to do exactly this a couple of weeks ago.  you have to shim the spool.  it took me hours to figure out.  when i was done, it was so simple that i was ready to kick myself.  when i get another one to do, i'll get the right tubing and shoot some pics.  stand by .......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Walter_Lars

well when it gets  here I will ship it up to you

alantani

Hi Alan, Very helpful site.  I was reading converting a 505 to a 506 question but I could not reply or post.  Anyway, I am attaching some pictures of shims I used.  It would better if ID (inside diameter) is closer to 1/8 but this happen to be the standard ID of the SS tubing off the shelf.  McMaster has variety sizes for sale.  I cut few different lengths and used them.  I am sure that using your drill technique, it can be cut straight.  I wrote the final length down somewhere but I do not know where it is.  I also used Newell graphite 500 spools for Newell G338 body.  501 spools will also fit on 322 as well. Only thing I have noticed that since the spool shaft is shorter, the end sits about 1/2 in the bearing instead completely thru.  Also since the ends of the Penn spools are chamfered, the effective lengths of the shafts are short as well. Dong

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Walter_Lars

do you still need a 505 /506 to photograph ?