400 lb Goliath aboard the Stress Free

Started by Newell Nut, July 31, 2019, 01:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

You never know what nature may give you. This was a lifetime catch for me and on a lot of fisherman's bucket list. I built a Stub 80 bent butt and put Sal's modified 9/0 on it and it sits on the bow with a live bait usually about 30 ft down. We have caught some really cool fish with it and it is always a surprise. Yesterday we got this giant Goliath and I could never wish for anything bigger. The butt cap on the end of my gaff is 1.5" and it just makes a little dot on the side of that fish. I thought it was going to die on us so tried to stick the gaff on the other side and roll it. Once it got upright it took off. Beautiful beast.

Dwight

Crow

Great job !! That's a beautiful fish .
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

That's huge!!! Nice to know some monsters are still around. Good to know it swam away
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Fishy247

Donnyboat

Glad you let it go, thanks for the pics, did it put up much of a fight, how long did you take to get it in cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gobi King

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Dominick

That is one huge fish.  Once released it was "stress free."  Good work Dwight.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

hey amigo Dwight, you should print a sticker of a goliath grouper 3 - 4" and put it in some special place in the boat, that fish needs to be remembered as trophy of the boat.

congrats compadre ! !
The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

Wow, Dwight.  That is one monster of a fish. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oc1

That's impressive Dwight.  Your Stress Free catches just get better and better.  Thank you for letting us tag along.
-steve

broadway

Sweet catch, Dwight! Good thing you got those guns for just such an occasion. 8)
Thanks for the photos, that is a lifetime catch.
Best,
Dom

Tightlines667

Beautiful fish.
It is great to see the abumdance and health of this fish stock recovering since the early 1990s prohibition on take rules went into effect.  This could become a great catch and release recreational fishery.  Somehow the waters seem more alive just knowing these long-lived giants are once again prowling US waters in greater numbers.

Catch of a lifetime is right.  

Lucky to have hooked him on the right gear.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Benni3

Fabulous job man,,,,, :D it's hard to explain how these fish fight,,,,, ;) more like riding a bull,,,,,,,, ;D

Vintage Offshore Tackle