Newell 200 parts source or substitute

Started by captquint99, August 06, 2019, 01:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captquint99

Hello all,

I just serviced my 229 and discovered a common occurrence, the washers by the star are cracked. I need a source or part substitute for these washers. Parts 3-16, 3-18, 3-142. Thanks

Newell Nut

Go to ebay and do a Newell Washer search and you will see the 3-16 and 3-18. The 3-142 can be tossed in the trash and not replaced. It serves no purpose except to take up space between the handle and star. I may have some in a drawer but you really don't need it.

The 3-16 and 3-18 fit all Newells so don't worry about a listing on ebay for 400 series or anything else.

Dwight

captquint99

Thank you for the quick reply. BTW I just opened up another S229 that was purchased in 2003 (I know this because the receipt is in the box) and there are washers on top of the drag stack that don't match the schematic. The washers appear to be wavy tension washers. Do you have any information on Newell using different washers on reels that are not indicated on the schematic?

Swami805

It's not uncommon to see variations in those stacks from the schematic especially with S series. Those came with different side plates ,bearing caps,screws and what have you. If it was working put it back together the way it was, the S series schematic you're looking at is likely different than the S series you're working on
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Newell Nut

The wavy washers were on the P series on either side of the Aluminum star. Wavy washers on an another model were added by a hobby guy. I use a small diameter wavy washer from McMaster Carr which is very helpful in producing a slower ramp up in drag pressure and the number used depends on the amount of space between the 3-18 and the star. Newell used a variety of the plastic stars over the years and they varied in thickness. I mainly use the wavy washers with metal stars.
The purpose of the wavy washer is to prevent the flat metal star from hitting the side plate when increasing drag pressure. The plastic stars have a hub to take up space and keep the star from hitting the side plate. When a drag gets weak the hub bumps the side plate, which is another problem.

Dwight

Newell Nut

Newell also used a 3-18 flat washer and some were concave like a spring washer and has the same number. They both work but I prefer the flat ones with the little wavy washer that I use.