Stradic 1000 question

Started by qcguy4198, October 29, 2011, 11:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qcguy4198

I got my set of 3 carbontex drag washers for my Stradic 1000. Thanks Dawn...great service..!!
When I put'em in the reel....I started having a problem with the drag "pulling through"...i.e.: NO drag. I pulled out one of the carbontex, replaced it with one of the factory original "felt" washers, which gave me 2 carbontex, one felt...and everything worked fine.
Has anyone else experienced this problem..??
(The 3-washer set I got for my Stradic 3000 went in and functions flawlessly.)

Alto Mare

You might have too much grease on the new drags. Try wiping some down with a rag and see if that helps.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dawn

Hi
I really don't know what could be the problem.  Did you get it worked out?

Dawn
Dawn

alantani

first thought.  any possibility that the metal washers are out of order.  if the slotted metal washer (the one with the nubs on the outside) is on top and in contact with the drag knob, then the knob will turn when the spool turns.  in the direction that most spinners go in, the drag knob would loosen when spool turns as the line is pulled out.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

qcguy4198

Thanks for your thoughts folks. Alan, I do have the metal discs in the correct order.  I finally managed to get back on the water yesterday to try the 1-felt, 2-Carbontex setup I installed and which worked fine in the garage. It only took a small ( 18") Redfish to demonstrate that what works in the garage can't be trusted to work on the water..!!!
When I got home, I pulled the rest of the Carbontex, and replaced the factory felt washers. For now, I'll keep fishing the 1000 that way to make sure that there's not something else going on with the reel itself.

Alto Mare

Hello, did you try wiping some of that grease off the carbon washers? A while back another member had a similar problem and it all worked out for him after doing so.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

qcguy4198

Thanks for the suggestion. They don't appear to be overly greased...but I'll give it a try. Wonder how it might work to spray them off with brake cleaner/ degreaser stuff...????

Nessie Hunter

Short stack (pancakes?)....LOL
My guess would be the Carbontex washer are not as thick as the felt...

Unless a Metal plate is hanging up on something and not compressing the stack..
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Alto Mare

Quote from: qcguy4198 on November 13, 2011, 03:52:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. They don't appear to be overly greased...but I'll give it a try. Wonder how it might work to spray them off with brake cleaner/ degreaser stuff...????
No, don't spray them; just wipe them with a rag. Also, wipe the metal washers real good..I'm betting that will work. Nessie brings up a good point also, the carbon washers might be too thin, but that's an easy fix. Try wiping first and then you can take it from there!

JGB

The carbontex should work fine. Some times there is residual  silicon oil from the felt washers that makes the carbontex grease slip. Found this out the hard way. Try cleaning the spool and metal disks with brake cleaner to eliminate contamination. Wipe the carbontex down real well, regrease and wipe down again to reduce contamination.

Even is the carbontex is slightly thin the drag knob should tighten down. If it hits the end of the spool shaft then you may be missing a space under the spool (used to adjust spool height). If all else fails put a washer on top of the drag stack to keep the knob from bottoming out.

If you are using spectra it may be slipping on the spool.

Jim N.