Penn 9 level wind problem

Started by Keta, October 29, 2011, 03:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I'm working on a friends Penn 9 and it is driving me crazy.  Everything runs better than new until line is pulled off the spool.  The level wind works until it gets almost to the end of the worm gear and then locks up, causing the level wing guide to pop out of it's race and the reel locks up.  I've replaced the worm and put the spare paul in.
This is a free job for a good friend but it's taking up too much of my time for a reel that I have no use for and I'm about ready to give him one of my Shimano or ABU reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

akfish

Any chance the line guide was replaced along the way? The 9 and 109 have different line guides and using the wrong one will not allow the guide to get all the way to one side.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

I'll look again, I did notice the line guide was asemetrical and the long side is close to the frame when it jams. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Keta on October 29, 2011, 10:06:35 PM
I'll look again, I did notice the line guide was asemetrical and the long side is close to the frame when it jams.  
Looking at my Penn 9 now and the line guide is symmetrical. The groove stops about 3/16" from the inner side plate rings. I think you found your problem.  Good call, akfish.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Keta

Thanks, I'll get the parts ordered Monday and post the results.

Mark Twain

redsetta

Well spotted AK - it's this kind of expertise/experience that makes Alan's site so good.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Keta

I talked to the owner and he said that he put a pawl from a Penn 10 in it and then it started acting up.....I wish he would have told me this before I worked on it  :-\

Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Keta on November 01, 2011, 02:32:11 AM
I talked to the owner and he said that he put a pawl from a Penn 10 in it and then it started acting up.....I wish he would have told me this before I worked on it  :-\

Well, a 9 is almost a 10. ::)  Yeah, the little details like that will drive ya nuts!
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

boy, i'm glad i jumped in on this one late.  i never would have figured this one out on my own......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Marlin Maniac

Lighthouse Tackle in Virginia Beach used to have a sign by the cash register. Reel Repairs $5.00. If you watch, $10.00. If you worked on it first, $50.00. That's why.
Politicians and diapers both need to be changed often, and for the same reason.

Alto Mare

Good one MM.....if Alan did that we would all be broke.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

seriously, that was a good call.  i never would have thought of it!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!