140 Squidder Questions

Started by RJELECTRIC, November 01, 2011, 04:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJELECTRIC

I recently purchased an ugly, filthy used squidder on ebay. It turned out to be almost perfectly preserved and after a good cleaning looks almost new. This is my first squidder.

I have 2 questions about it:

Is the left side bearing used for spool tension like other penn reels with bushings? I cant seem to tighten it down enough to make any real difference in how fast the spool spins.

AND

Is it normal for the dog to sound louder with the reel tilted to one side and quieter when the reel is tilted to the other side? My jigmaster does the same thing.

Thanks, Ron

Norcal Pescador

Ron,
The left (or non-handle side) bearing/bushing is not for spool tension adjustment if you mean controlling freespool. It is to set side-to-side play of the spool and should be about .005", the thickness of a sheet of paper. Loosen the bearing cap then put a finger or two of each hand on the inside of the spool and move the spool back and forth with your fingers. Keep tightening the bearing cap until you can barely feel/hear the spool moving. (I hold the reel up to my ear. ;D ) Removing all side-to-side play can damage the bearings/bushings.
Tipping the reel on either side often changes the pitch or volume of the clicker, so yeah, I'd call it normal.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

RJELECTRIC

Thanks for the reply Rob. I'm still a little confused though. Maybe I've gotten some bad advice along the way. I was told that the correct way to fine tune a conventional reel is to tighten the non-handle side bushing/bearing until your weight falls slowly and the spool stops when it hits the ground. Is that totally incorrect? Or, is the squidder different because it has ball bearings rather than bushing/bearings.

Alto Mare

Quote from: RJELECTRIC on November 01, 2011, 10:25:23 PM
Thanks for the reply Rob. I'm still a little confused though. Maybe I've gotten some bad advice along the way. I was told that the correct way to fine tune a conventional reel is to tighten the non-handle side bushing/bearing until your weight falls slowly and the spool stops when it hits the ground. Is that totally incorrect? Or, is the squidder different because it has ball bearings rather than bushing/bearings.

I don't believe that they gave you bad advice. Yes you can adjust the speed of the spool by thightening the left side bearing/ bushing. I acctually have a new accurate/squidder 146, The kit usually comes with a slot on the left side bearing that will need a screw driver to adjust, I customized mine with a bearing that you can adjust with your fingers, yes you can fine tune it. Rob did not give you a bad answer, on a left side bearing that comes with a slot , usually those stay that way after adjusting the side play on a spool.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: RJELECTRIC on November 01, 2011, 10:25:23 PM
..... I was told that the correct way to fine tune a conventional reel is to tighten the non-handle side bushing/bearing until your weight falls slowly and the spool stops when it hits the ground. ......
Ron -
I do that with my baitcasters for freshwater fishing, but that's because I'm more concerned with preventing a backlash until my thumb is educated enough. Using the reel with all of the side play taken out does put a bit of a side load on the bearings that they weren't made for, unless they're axial-load bearings. If you're talking a one ounce jig that's dropping to the floor, that's a whole lot different than a big rock-cod sinker. What you were told can be done, I just don't like to do it much, and you have to be careful with it. Hope this helps.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

redsetta

I like the sound of that Accurate/Squidder 146 Sal - any chance of a pic?
I have an old Squidder in parts that might deserve a birthday.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Quote from: redsetta on November 02, 2011, 12:34:03 AM
I like the sound of that Accurate/Squidder 146 Sal - any chance of a pic?
I have an old Squidder in parts that might deserve a birthday.
Cheers, Justin

Here you go Justin, but I must warn you...you will have a hard time finding that left side bearing.

Ron, here is a picture of what I was talking about. The gold squidder came with a bearing as the one on the silver reel, those are hard to adjust. My squidder works great, no need to worry about side play, the adjustment is so little that it doesn't affect the side play...it actaully makes it a little tighter. On the older Penn's the adjustment on the bushing ( we're calling them bushings, Penn called them bearings) was used mostly to prevent backlash and also for what you mentioned above.

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

redsetta

Man that's nice - your collection is full of surprises.
The Squidder may have to be next in line once I've finished my 114H Tiburon conversion.
(It never ends does it...)  ;)
Cheers mate.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

No Justin, it never ends.... well eventually :(.
Can't wait to see your projects. About that 146, the letters on the plate are etched, not stamped. Try to look for one of those, they're rare and more valuable  ;).

Snagged2

Awhile back,,I  thought of having someone making up some of those knurled bearing housings,,,

Are they available anywhere?  The picture shows exactly what I was wanting to have made!!

RJELECTRIC

Thanks everyone for all the great info.

I took the old squidder out to the ball field today and faced my fears. Even with the stock chrome spool,  I had a 5 oz. lead flying pretty good after a while. Can't wait to try it with an aluminum spool and a mag job.

Thanks again, Ron

alantani

i would have thought that you could slow down the spool with the the left side bearing cup.   when it's cranked down, do you still have some side-to-side play?  if not, i am wondering if a shim washer under the bearing would help.   alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

I'm with you Alan. I also believe that a spacer under the bearing should help slow that spool down.