Underwater fotage of a halibut attacking a jig

Started by Killerbug, November 02, 2011, 06:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Killerbug

http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

seaeagle2

"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Nessie Hunter

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

wallacewt

ive watched the video a few times and get the feeling the halibut would have grabbed the lure 1st time if it had been twitched or jerked.fish was very casual until he felt the sting.good lesson right there,methinks.

Alto Mare

Quote from: wallacewt on November 05, 2011, 10:48:20 PM
ive watched the video a few times and get the feeling the halibut would have grabbed the lure 1st time if it had been twitched or jerked.fish was very casual until he felt the sting.good lesson right there,methinks.

That's right, Wallace. It's not about the lure size that you're using...it's how you wiggle it. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

I must be missing it 'cause the footage is Alan getting sawed off.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bucktail

Just a jig-a-lo

redsetta

Strange how that link dropped out.
Try this one:

broadway

The first video was Alan getting chopped... Not Nice!  The second video was awesome... did you see how perfectly camouflaged that halibut was?! I was surprised it came back a second time after biting plastic... must have been starving or bored ;D
Dom 

WhyWorry

Quote from: wallacewt on November 05, 2011, 10:48:20 PM

I don't think that is the case. I believe this video was made trolling the jig with a downrigger. It's easier to make video this way, and the jig doe's not change "height". I went to Norway this year and it's very common that the halibut bite of the tail of the jig. Often you feel the bite but it doesn't get hooked.
This video was made by a danish gear manufacturer together with a danish television show. Can't wait to see the show :-)

wallacewt

paal

Here's more cool underwater footage of 'buts going for the kill:

redsetta

Nice one Paal - cheers for the link.
Here's one from the West Coast of NZ's South Island.
Giant bluefin target the remnant hoki as the nets are brought up from depth.

There's a cracker shot about 1.40s - would love to have been in the water for that!
Righto, Justin

paal

Great video, Justin! :) I want to fish BFT one day. They used to be abundant even here in Norway, during summer. Seems NZ is a hotspot that I will need to consider when the time comes.