The Brute - 3/0 from donated parts

Started by xjchad, September 04, 2019, 07:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

I started collecting parts for this project awhile ago when Sheridan gave me a set of 3/0 Accuplates.
They were rattle canned black and you could see where a previous owner had engraved his name and number on both sides.
Awhile later he gave me a set of Newell spacer bars that were the "Tuna Special" width.
At some point I bought a few crusty Senators from a guy on craigslist and one ended up being a 3/0 with the same width Newell Spool and stand.
The stainless gear sleeve was from another one of you great Ohana (I'm sorry I don't remember who now)
Randy (JRD) sent me a star, gears, and stainless jack/eccentric.
I pulled the handle from the 49 I have on the back burner.

I finally had all the parts rounded up and some time while I waited for parts on another job, so I threw it together.

The plates got soaked in thinner and re-rattle canned with some semigloss black.  (Obviously I suck at spray painting)
I drilled the spacer bars and sprayed them as well.
The 4:1 steel gears house carbontex drags and ride on a fine thread stainless sleeve.
I made a custom stainless dog since I didn't have one of Lee's.
Everything went together with Cals Grease and Lucas Reel Oil.

It's not gonna win a beauty contest, but it should put some fish in the sand.
I love the strong, loud, obnoxious clicker!

I added a .010" stainless shim under the gear sleeve to reduce the end play in the handle.

I wanted to do something off the wall and different also.  I had a knurled knob from one of my Mag kits on my desk and it sparked an idea...

Not necessarily needed, but it looks cool to me  ;D

Here's the finished reel.  The Brute.

Husband, Father, Fisherman

vilters

nice build. for go not show, though i like the look a lot. 3/0 is one of my favorites. if you make some more of those eccentric levers i'd be in for a couple!

Crow

Nice build !! I like that eccentric knob !! I may *need* to do that  ;)
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

PacRat

Ron Jones

I love the intermediate Specials. The Tuna and the Marlin are great. Can't wait to see some fish caught with it.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

You did good Chad! looks great and functional.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Yes Chad, that size reel is easier to handle & nice & strong, with what you put into it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

jkel

Nice reel and I like what you did to the lever.  8)

Swami805

Came out nice Chad, I see 7 gills in your future.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

mhc

Great idea with the eccentric lever Chad - and tidy work as usual.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Captain64-200

Fred from Biarritz ,

xjchad

Thanks for the kind words guys!

And special thanks to you that donated the parts!!!

xjchad

I think it will be pretty strong as is, but down the road I'm planning to upgrade the drag to Bryan's 5+1 kit and add a second stainless dog.   ;D

thorhammer

nice work! what kind of rattle can? and I love the red knob 24-49...pretty uncommon one, that. You should be able to cast that reel with a chunk of lead pretty well.