Alex Customs rods, What's coming off the Lathe !

Started by steelfish, September 09, 2019, 07:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boon

Top-shelf work as usual Alex. Love how clean your designs are.

It makes my eye twitch a little to see all that work with hard chrome guides... unless the angler has some particular attachment to them?

steelfish

Quote from: boon on June 26, 2023, 11:05:05 PMTop-shelf work as usual Alex. Love how clean your designs are.

It makes my eye twitch a little to see all that work with hard chrome guides... unless the angler has some particular attachment to them?

thanks amigo, I persuaded the owner of the rod to let me put new guides (he would pay the cost of the guides of course) on it but he didnt wanted, he just said he liked those guides, I even showed him other models that were not that expensive but will last longer than those wire chrome guides but still no avail, so....
The Baja Guy

boon

The customer is always right after all  :d

You can always re-wrap it with Fuji SiC in a couple of years anyway

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Donnyboat

come on Alex, every time my wrapping improves & start to feel good, you go to a higher level, I am sure you enjoy making me feel bad, keep well, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

steelfish

Quote from: Donnyboat on June 27, 2023, 10:54:57 PMcome on Alex, every time my wrapping improves & start to feel good, you go to a higher level, I am sure you enjoy making me feel bad, keep well, cheers Don.
LOL nice joke

that last one was a very simple design, the simpler the better
The Baja Guy

Donnyboat

all good mate, you do very  nice work, keep well cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

ExcessiveAngler

[/quote]
Quote from: steelfish on April 28, 2023, 01:32:26 AMmy compadre liked those HZRDUZ themed rods that much he wanted another 2 with the same them and colors

Man oh man, Alex you do some super awesome work, truly envious of you brother!
Everything looks so nice and tight and clean, and your epoxy work, is just killer!
I'm not really a big fan of orange, but I will have to admit, that those colors pop beautifully on those HZRDUS blanks!
Anyone, would be honored to have them!
I really love your transitions from your fore grips to the blank though!
I don't know all the proper lingo, yet lol!
But, i've been trying to work on it lol!
It cannot be easy, trying to build up those ramps, without the winding checks!
Been watching a bunch of videos about it!
I've been practicing on my own rods for about a year now, just the easy stuff!
Redoing some raps , replacing guides, changed a couple layouts, with the help of another, very experienced rod builder!
I got tired of having to drop them off and wait and worry, even though the wait time was always, very well worth it!
Not to mention, I've always been extremely curious, about the art of rod building!
I just like nice, functional, simple, clean to the point builds, don't need all that extra epoxy and fancy thread work on every running up the whole darn rod!
And even if I could, it would be a short, simple, diamond or chevron wrap!
It is nice to have it, on maybe one or two, to show off! I feel a lot of times, that dampens the action and sensitivity, not to mention extra weight as well!
I liked the way those builds turned out so much, they really are awesome brother!
I'll be going through all your threads, to check out your work now!
Tried looking up those HZRDUS blanks, but couldn't find any info on them online!
Can you point me in the right direction, to check them out?
Thanks, Alex!
Keep pumping these beautiful rods out!

steelfish

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on June 29, 2023, 08:27:30 PM...on those HZRDUS blanks!
Tried looking up those HZRDUS blanks, but couldn't find any info on them online!
Can you point me in the right direction, to check them out?

those arent HZRDUS blanks or anything alike, those are Seeker factory rods, Daiwa factory rods, penn factory rods, etc that I rebuild it almost entirely, I even told the owner that it might be better to sell those rods and get new blanks and start from the scratch (from the blank) but he insisted that those rods have some mojo and wanted to rebuild them,  HZRDUS is a Sport brand that make shafts for Golf clubs, LaCrosse and Hockey, this guy is an avid Golf player and fan of those HZRDUS golf clubs so, he wanted to have his fishing rods to resemble his golf clubs, he gave me the color selection, the idea and I did the rest.

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on June 29, 2023, 08:27:30 PMMan oh man, Alex you do some super awesome work, truly envious of you brother!
Everything looks so nice and tight and clean, and your epoxy work, is just killer!
Thanks, Alex!
Keep pumping these beautiful rods out!
thanks a lot, that means a lot to me.

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on June 29, 2023, 08:27:30 PMI've been practicing on my own rods for about a year now, just the easy stuff!
Redoing some raps , replacing guides, changed a couple layouts, with the help of another, very experienced rod builder!
I got tired of having to drop them off and wait and worry, even though the wait time was always, very well worth it!
Not to mention, I've always been extremely curious, about the art of rod building!
I just like nice, functional, simple, clean to the point builds, don't need all that extra epoxy and fancy thread work on every running up the whole darn rod!
eventho I still have a lot to learn about rod building I can say that few years back I was asking in this same forum how to wrap a guide on my fishing rod by myself

https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,17977.0.html

I also hated to have to wait 4-5 months to have my rod repaired forget about having a custom rod in my arsenal, so I opted to check if I learn how to wrap my own guides after sometime repairing my rods and friends rods I felt it was time to get my own Custom rod from the blank

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on June 29, 2023, 08:27:30 PMI just like nice, functional, simple, clean to the point builds, don't need all that extra epoxy and fancy thread work on every running up the whole darn rod!
And even if I could, it would be a short, simple, diamond or chevron wrap!
It is nice to have it, on maybe one or two, to show off! I feel a lot of times, that dampens the action and sensitivity, not to mention extra weight as well!

I still havent entered to the diamond wraps, chevron, Tiger wraps, marbling, etc. they look nice and I like them but still not attracted, maybe later.

The Baja Guy

jgp12000

Mjg378

Just saw your last pics.   Tight, perfectly spaced. The epoxy, wow!!!!
Mike

ExcessiveAngler

Been awfully quiet here lol!
Figured, I'd give you a little nudge!
Hope all is well buddy!

steelfish

Quote from: jgp12000 on June 30, 2023, 01:23:01 PMLooks pretty professional to me!

thanks amigo

Quote from: Mjg378 on June 30, 2023, 02:15:44 PMJust saw your last pics.  Tight, perfectly spaced. The epoxy, wow!!!!
Mike
much appreciated your comments buddy

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on August 08, 2023, 04:25:15 AMBeen awfully quiet here lol!
Figured, I'd give you a little nudge!
Hope all is well buddy!

Saul Goodman!  (i'ts all good, man)

the rod wrapper is waiting for me to finish my other side of this "reel & rod repair hobby", I have few reels waiting for service and repair, since I only work on them at night and not every single night, those reels might take me awhile to have them done and until then I will return to my rod wrapper.
thanks for checking out.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

just the installation of a reelseat and new fore and reargrips,   fishon !! :fish  :fish
The Baja Guy

ExcessiveAngler

Very nice job!
What kind of rod is that, Alex?
The original picture, it Kinda looks like a surf rod, while the second pic, makes it look like it's a boat rod lol!